Options

MCITP:EA/SA OS version question

Hi guys, I am new to MS certs and I am still working on my CCNA.
Anyways, I am just wondering if Server 2008 Standard is fine for studying MCITP:EA and MCITP:SA.
I already have the Server 2008 Standard, I just don't have the a PC to run it for my home. I am also thinking to use it for labbing.

What exactly is R2? Is that the same thing as the regular server, but in Virtual Machine?

Off-topic question:
I have Windows 7 Ultimate x64, and tried to create a loopback; however, the loopback is in public network.
How am I going to make it public?
I went to Local Security Policy > Network List Manage Policies > Unidentified Networks > Location type: Private. It did not help either. It did change the icon though from Public(bench) into Work(two linked monitors) networks.
Is there a way around this without messing with the registry?

Thanks
Studying:
Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
Reading:
Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Server 2008 R2 is an updated version of Server 2008. Some new functions were added and some names have been changed. It's also only available in the 64 Bit version. The exams are being upgraded to include material covering Server 2008R2 so it would be a good idea to lab with Server 2008 R2.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    Cool, but what about the Standard version? Is that ok to use for studying EA/SA?
    Studying:
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
  • Options
    Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Any of the labs within the MS book can be done on a standard 2008 Server installation. If you're using the MS book then I'd suggest following the directions on how to download an evaluation trial of server 2008 (it should provide you with a link to the direct download) and use that. With that ISO you can install any version of 2008 server you want (minus R2 of course). There are a couple of labs that may require you to set up a ServerCore server so it'll be helpful to have that installation file. Don't worry about activation or even windows updates as you'll be labbing in a closed network environment and your labs should be done before the 90 day evaluation period has ended.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • Options
    Is there a way to extend the trial version of R2?
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • Options
    Not really a way to extend it. If the trial runs out all that happens is you'll lose the ability to do Windows Updates and maybe a few minor things but that's about it. I've labbed with expired trial software in the past and not had any problem with it so I wouldn't imagine you'd have a problem.

A way to extend the trial though would be just to format the VHD (assuming you're using a virtual machine here) and re-install the server again and you'll get another 90 days. The only draw back to this is it's a fresh installation so you'll lose any and all settings you had already set up prior.
    -Michael Palmer
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
  • Options
    I am cool on losing the settings since that might help me to remember them due to repeating the commands or configuration.
    Yes, I will be using VM.
    Do you use VirtualBox? I tried to use it but it seems slow, at least for what I can feel. What I mean is when I move my mouse pointer around, I think there is a .5 sec late.
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    2008 R2 is an update to 2008 with some new features. It is highly recommended to use 2008 R2 when preparing for the MCITP SA or EA. All of the exams are either already updated with R2 content, or are in the process of being updated, so you need to know the R2-specific features. The main downside to R2 is that it is 64-bit only, so if you are using VMs your PC needs hardware virtualization support (either Intel VT, or AMD-V). If you are using evaluations you might as well use Enterprise edition instead of Standard.
    thehourman wrote: »
    Is there a way to extend the trial version of R2?
    Yes, it can be extended to 240 days total. See here:
    How to extend the Windows Server 2008 evaluation period
    Do you use VirtualBox? I tried to use it but it seems slow, at least for what I can feel. What I mean is when I move my mouse pointer around, I think there is a .5 sec late.
    If you have a really old PC without enough RAM, VMs just won't run very well. However, if your PC is relatively new and doesn't have any malware slowing it down, you probably haven't installed the Guest Additions in the VM. See here:
    Chapter 4. Guest Additions
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Get yourself a copy of Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition it will run for 180 days and you can extend it.

I'm using VMware for labbing and it's pretty good I do have 4 GB of memory

You can download VHD here

Download details: Windows Server 2008 R2 Evaluation Virtual Hard Drive Images for Hyper-V (180 Days)

Or the ISO here

Windows Server 2008 R2 Evaluation Free 180-Day Trial

Standard is fine but you do need R2 now that's for all EA and SA exams. The downside is that it's only 64bit
  • Options
    @MentholMoose,
    My PC can run VM no problem. On VMplayer it runs very smooth, and I can go back and forth from my PC to VMplayer without pressing any keys. It is like another regular window.
    However, in VirtualBox I have to click the VB; and if I want to exit out and go back to my PC, I have to press a hotkey. And the delay problem that I mentioned on my previous post.
    @za3bour,
    The reason why I want to use the Standard edition is because I already have it. Well, since the Enterprise can be extended to 180/240 days then might as well try it.

Thanks for the links.

To all,
    I bought the MS press books already, does it have a material for R2?
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Not really a way to extend it. If the trial runs out all that happens is you'll lose the ability to do Windows Updates and maybe a few minor things but that's about it. I've labbed with expired trial software in the past and not had any problem with it so I wouldn't imagine you'd have a problem.

A way to extend the trial though would be just to format the VHD (assuming you're using a virtual machine here) and re-install the server again and you'll get another 90 days. The only draw back to this is it's a fresh installation so you'll lose any and all settings you had already set up prior.

Incorrect. Using slmgr -rearm you can extend the eval for 180 days (retail copy without product key). The Evaluation Version can go up to 240 days.

• Options
    Incorrect. Using slmgr -rearm you can extend the eval for 180 days (retail copy without product key). The Evaluation Version can go up to 240 days.

After the 240th day, can I reinstall the OS, and do the same thing again to get another 240 days?
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    After the 240th day, can I reinstall the OS, and do the same thing again to get another 240 days?

Yes it will be another 240 days, regarding your question about the book it doesn't cover R2 material.

So you have the option if getting a book about R2 (like Mastering R2 or R2 Unleached) or you can use technet (which most of us does) and many subjects here does contain a lot of info/resources for R2 as well.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    @MentholMoose,
    My PC can run VM no problem. On VMplayer it runs very smooth, and I can go back and forth from my PC to VMplayer without pressing any keys. It is like another regular window.
    However, in VirtualBox I have to click the VB; and if I want to exit out and go back to my PC, I have to press a hotkey. And the delay problem that I mentioned on my previous post.
    Read the rest of my post. Make sure the Guest Additions is installed. If it is, try reinstalling it and rebooting. Also in the Machine menu make sure "Disable mouse integration" is NOT checked.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options

Never knew that.. of course, I never really needed to use it either. You know how that goes.
    -Michael Palmer