Options

Case - job interview

ronorono Member Posts: 121 ■■■□□□□□□□
Users can not log in on our location in Madrid.

A server with the domain controller role has a faulty hard drive and does not come up again. Backup is not running on this server.

This server also runs DNS and DHCP.

Name of the server on the location name MadridDC1.teslab.local.

Networking with firewall is up to the main office where the main DC stands with:

DC3.testlab.local Schema master

DC3.testlab.local Domain naming master

DC3.testlab.local PDC

DC3.testlab.local RID pool manager

DC1.testlab.local Infrastructure master,installed.

AD is on Windows 2008 R2.

Questions:

1. What do you do for your users to log on while you restore DC in Madrid when it's going to take 3 days before the new server is sent and connected? (It will probably be slowly login process to that server, but will work temporarily.)

2. What do you do with the old objects in Active Directory and DNS?

3. How to create a new DC in Madrid and assure you that no errors from earlier setup comes up and the new topology of the network it will be the same?

A friend of mine has got this case under a job interview and I wonder how you guys with Server 2008 / MS certs would resolve such a case.I'm trying on my own in a VM enviroment this scenario but a little help from you it woul be appreciated !

Thanks in advance!
Mess with the best,Die like the rest!

Comments

• Options
    has anyone an advice here...what can be done in order to allow users from remote office to log on into to domain when the locally DC is down(seized)...
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    #1 Setup a local DHCP server on the router or a domain member server. Presumably there is persistent connectivity to the main office, so set the DHCP clients to use DC3 for DNS so they can login, browse the web, etc.

#2 Seize the FSMO role that DC1 had. Delete the DC1 objects, check and clean metadata with ntdsutil.

#3 Run dcpromo, setup DNS, put the DC in the correct site.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    thanks MentholMoose !
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    No problem. Hopefully it's helpful.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV