Options

Best way for staudy?

Tato500Tato500 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I just started my 2nd Term at WGU, and I have to study SEC+ and be done by the end of the year, But I'm trying to get it ASAP.

I was wondering if Labsim and the ILT series (WGU's Book) are enough. or is there another way to study it better and faster?

Thanks alot I appreciate it.

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The ILT book isn't very good. Get the book everyone here raves about Darril Gibsons Get Certified Get Ahead.
    Personally I used the Labsim and the Sybex Study Guide and It took about 3 weeks of study. A lot of people use nothing but the Labsim and pass the exam.
    The ILT book for that course is just word for word the Skillsoft course for that class. You can check it by going to that skilllsoft course and the skillsoft course reads along with the book.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    WizardofWarWizardofWar Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree I dont care for the ILT books in general, but the school I goto thats all they give out. I barely read that book as I got the Darril Gibson book and read that instead.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    8/01/2010=first day at WGU
    8/26/2010=passed Security+ and completed first 12 CUs (as I too was motivated to completed Security+ before the end of the year).

Spent most of the month of August reading Darril Gibson's Get Certified Get Ahead as well as utilizing Transcenders (I thought I'd be Sec+ certified before I started WGU...didn't work out that way as I was way to busy...)

I did watch the Labsims, but only for Crytography...DG's book was enough for me to pass. The ILT book is in my bookshelf collecting dust with the WFV1 books....

Trust me, DG is enough to pass.....believe that.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Trust me, DG is enough to pass.....believe that.

1+. Definitely.
  • Options
    fieldmonkeyfieldmonkey Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Darrill Gibsons book and supplement it with a few other sources. I felt the Sybex reference did well on expanding the concepts that need finer detail.

Make your eyes bleed with session keys, public keys and private keys...know your symmetric and assymetric encryptions and be sure to you understand the fundamental approach towards security, safeguard everything and make sure you review your logs if you question the activity on your network!
    WIP:
    Husband & Fatherhood Caitlin Grace born 8-26-2010

Future Certs:
    Q1-2011 - INCD2, Microsoft or Linux (decisions, decisions...)
  • Options
    Tato500Tato500 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you everyone, I'm going to order DG's book this week.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I really don't study for tests. I read a book, watch videos if I have them, and just do research. Occasionally I will study things like versions of server2003 or something. But mostly its just absorbing the information and asking questions when I don't understand it.

Darri's book is king for this test.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    Tato500 wrote: »
    Thank you everyone, I'm going to order DG's book this week.

Thanks again.

Remember, the Sybex Security+ books (the 201) ARE available on Books 24x7. The DG book is not....

Trust me when I say this though....once you read DG's book, you're not gonna need Sybex, unless you want to get a better understanding for something not clicking (which won't be much....even crypto). If you get at least 80% of the final DG exam at the end of the book, consider yourself ready! You'll be done in about a week. 10 days tops!
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    ya can get the kindle version of the "good book" for like 10 its well worth it i didnt even open the wgu book i dont think i know i didnt use it

i did take my time about 3 weeks because i was paranoid about failure

labsim is nice for crypto

dont forget you also have online expert videos you can use and they play on a droid 2.2 so i listened to them in the car/while walking at lunch
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    ya can get the kindle version of the "good book" for like 10 its well worth it i didnt even open the wgu book i dont think i know i didnt use it

Was that you who wrote the "good book" comment dude on Amazon? I liked that comment. LOL. We call it the "good book" or something or other...it amazes me how he has 5 star comments and the one DB who gave him 2 stars.
  • Options
    The 2 star rating was given by the author of the sybex book.
  • Options
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    The 2 star rating was given by the author of the sybex book.

Are you serious? LOL...I wouldn't doubt it.
  • Options
    PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    Now that is just low blows, seriously? Thats like Ford employees getting on ePinions and giving crappy reviews to other cars just for marketing purposes. Super low.
  • Options
    Now that is just low blows, seriously? Thats like Ford employees getting on ePinions and giving crappy reviews to other cars just for marketing purposes. Super low.

I think he was kidding......BUT that reviewer who gave the 2 star review was definitely a hater.......

Seriously, when you have 49 LEGITIMATE 5 star reviews......you are bound to attract haters. But it doesn't change the fact that you will pass SOLELY using that book though. :)
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Are you serious? LOL...I wouldn't doubt it.

I have no idea. Just tossing the idea out there.

It wouldn't surprise me if they did. Thats why I use the consumer reports car buying guide or something over individual responses.
  • Options
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    It wouldn't surprise me if they did. Thats why I use the consumer reports car buying guide or something over individual responses.

Prior to buying the book, I was terribly skeptical as I saw the reviews on Amazon first. Then I saw folks here singing its praises (I think you might have been one of them). Decided what the heck and bought the book BEFORE he made the Kindle version $10....lol.

That's really why I still come to Security+....many people are so nervous about this exam (like I was)....it really is a lot easier than a lot of certs....a lot easier.