Options

Suggestions for learning Excel/Access

Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
Growing up I never really had a need to know either of these applications and I'm finding it difficult to pick up now. Any suggesions on books/videos/sites?

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Repo Man wrote: »
    Growing up I never really had a need to know either of these applications and I'm finding it difficult to pick up now. Any suggesions on books/videos/sites?

Go on amazon and pick up a book. To be honest unless you use them you aren't going to truly know them.

Step by Step for Microsoft Access and Excel are great beginner books.

Unless you are using those tools in your day to day operations you won't really learn them at an expert level. But like I said earlier go with the Step by step book they will show you somethings and give you a beginner foundation where you can at least navigate and start to use the tool a little bit. I would start with Excel then move onto Access personally.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The Step by Step books are great but honestly Microsoft has a ton of free training videos/blogs to help sell/promote their product.

Excel is a good thing to know at least mid level knowledge.
  • Options
    Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have very limited knowledge of both and have begun learning them myself using the Dummies books.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    N2IT wrote: »
    Go on amazon and pick up a book. To be honest unless you use them you aren't going to truly know them.

Step by Step for Microsoft Access and Excel are great beginner books.

Unless you are using those tools in your day to day operations you won't really learn them at an expert level. But like I said earlier go with the Step by step book they will show you somethings and give you a beginner foundation where you can at least navigate and start to use the tool a little bit. I would start with Excel then move onto Access personally.

I agree. The training material that I choose will hopefully have good examples/labs. A lot of the things I've come across teach how to do this, then how to do that but never piece everything together.
    Mojo_666 wrote: »
    CBT Nuggets :)

I'll have to look into this as I enjoy their certification training.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Amazon.com: MCAS Office 2007 Exam Prep: Exams for Microsoft Office 2007 (978078973774icon_cool.gif: Ron Gilster: Books
    I bought this book and read the first 200ish pages about Word. I thought it did a very good job of explaining stuff, but I usually read it in front of my laptop so I could pause and play. I had no problem passing the test and feel I'm much better about word. (This book contains word, excel, access, powerpoint, outlook, pretty much everything)
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Repo Man wrote: »

Lynda.com and VTC.com are cheap and have videos for these applications as well as many others.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Lynda.com and VTC.com are cheap and have videos for these applications as well as many others.

I havent' used VTC.com, but I can HIGHLY recommend Lynda.com for training on things like MS Office applications.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Slowhand wrote: »
    I havent' used VTC.com, but I can HIGHLY recommend Lynda.com for training on things like MS Office applications.

I'm going over the Silverlight 3 and 4 videos on the Lynda site right now. I also watched the SharePoint videos and liked them a lot. Very good resource.