Options

ICND2 or MCSA

fieldmonkeyfieldmonkey Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
All this chatter is making me want to do Cisco again... Sat the ICND2 a little too soon, and got killed on SIMS, scored 725 / 825. So after taking a step back and getting my A+ and Sec+... I'm at a fork in the road.

I bought the Lammle book as a secondary reference and didn't use it that much. I have it cracked open right now pondering if I want to take another stab at it. Took the ICND2 exam about six months back, using the Odom books as my main source.

So I'm torn between ICND2 or start on my MS track with 70-680 ... going the ICND2 is making a little more sense right now since I have everything to get started. I just need to refresh in areas, but I have all the study sheets, Odom books, Lammles book.

For the lab, I have PT to use, but in addition I also have
1-2924
2-2950's
2-2600 (limited though)
1-3750

The 3750 is newest addition, a gift from a friend. It appears to been hot commodity on ebay, but I have no idea what it is capable of ... lol

On one hand, the sooner I get the CCNA the sooner I have to renew it. On the other hand, I feel I need something on the resume that says Microsoft and work my way towards the MCSA.
WIP:
Husband & Fatherhood Caitlin Grace born 8-26-2010

Future Certs:
Q1-2011 - INCD2, Microsoft or Linux (decisions, decisions...)

Comments

• Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Which one pertains to your current job? If you do more hands on with MS and less (or next to none) with Cisco, then MS cert would make since. If it's the other way around, choose Cisco. Since you were so close (725 out of 825 is not bad at all), I would suggest you get into the Cisco side of the house.

BTW... If you're looking to get rid of that 3750, let me know! icon_lol.gif

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    On one hand, the sooner I get the CCNA the sooner I have to renew it. On the other hand, I feel I need something on the resume that says Microsoft and work my way towards the MCSA.

I would not worry about renewing... you have 3 years, and all you have to do is pass a different exam then you have a new certification and it renews the CCNA for 3 more years....
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Which one pertains to your current job? If you do more hands on with MS and less (or next to none) with Cisco, then MS cert would make since. If it's the other way around, choose Cisco. Since you were so close (725 out of 825 is not bad at all), I would suggest you get into the Cisco side of the house.

^^^+1 If you're currently helpdesk or desktop support get the MS first and then pursue the Cisco. If you are really eyeballing the network side of things and have friends at work on the network side then just get the Windows 7 OS exam and then shoot for CCNA. If network is where you want to be then get something on your resume to help you make your move.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    fieldmonkeyfieldmonkey Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Which one pertains to your current job?

-Peanut

... lol Neither do... I'm a POS field service tech (break/fix) for a global company that is not based in my state. We do some backoffice stuff but usually I'm just the guy that puts in the failing raid drive or swapping out memory. I enjoy the flexibility it offers and I work out of my home, so it's not a terrible job, however the pay is far from satisfying.
    earweed wrote: »
    If network is where you want to be then get something on your resume to help you make your move.

I've got all the certs on my resume, along with my previous entry level experience. Trying to make a move is challenging because I've got some things working against me though. Mostly my locale... I could get calls everyday if I wanted to commute 1-1.5 hours to where the jobs are (North/Northwest of Boston).

Some things are going on in Providence from time to time, which would actully be a better commute, however, but nothing really sticks.

I guess its my fault too, since I don't follow through with some of the recruiting agencies that do call me, I'm sure I just get crossed off the list. I'm also learning that it seems everyone wants to hire you on a contract to perm basis. I rarely get a job that is perm/full-time inquires... but I have nly recently gotten the last two certs I hold now (A+ & Security+). I should follow through with some of the recruiters.

That also leads me back to which cert would probably be better for me, and now I'm starting to lean back towards doing the MCSA, which is what I ordered the MS Press book today for 70-680.
    WIP:
    Husband & Fatherhood Caitlin Grace born 8-26-2010

Future Certs:
    Q1-2011 - INCD2, Microsoft or Linux (decisions, decisions...)
  • Options
    hunterthuntert Banned Posts: 231
    if you decide to get ccna try cbt nuggats its good