Options

Cable for Serial to Serial WAN Emulation

controlcontrol Member Posts: 309
Hi There,

I'm looking to purchase cables for my Serial to Serial connection between my routers and have a query.

Looking at the Technotes on here..

TechExams.Net CCNA LAB: The Hardware

I would need a V.35 DTE and and V.35 DCE cable which the interconnect and connect to the serial port.

I have seen another cable which seems to just connect to either side of the WIC-1t, and saves interconnecting 2 different cables.

CISCO WIC-2T SS CROSSOVER CABLE BACK TO BACK DCE/DTE on eBay (end time 22-Oct-10 09:02:41 BST)

Are these basically the same thing and do the same job?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    For lab use it's usually just cheaper to get the back-to-back crossover cables. Plus you get less of the cable rat's nest effect. icon_lol.gif

What kind of Routers and WICs or NMs do you have? Those back to back smart serial cables will connect two WIC-2Ts -- but there are also DB60-DB60 or DB60-Smart Serial cables available if you any of the old DB60 serial ports.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    controlcontrol Member Posts: 309
    mikej412 wrote: »
    For lab use it's usually just cheaper to get the back-to-back crossover cables. Plus you get less of the cable rat's nest effect. icon_lol.gif

What kind of Routers and WICs or NMs do you have? Those back to back smart serial cables will connect two WIC-2Ts -- but there are also DB60-DB60 or DB60-Smart Serial cables available if you any of the old DB60 serial ports.

It will be the big DB60 connections I have so I'm guessing that cable is no use.
    Are the WIC-2Ts just a card that allow for 2 WAN connections from the one card, and the WIC-1T just allows the one connection? Is the only difference, apart from the connector type?
  • Options
    BrizoHBrizoH Member Posts: 73 ■■■□□□□□□□
    control wrote: »
    It will be the big DB60 connections I have so I'm guessing that cable is no use.
    Are the WIC-2Ts just a card that allow for 2 WAN connections from the one card, and the WIC-1T just allows the one connection? Is the only difference, apart from the connector type?

Basically, yes - if both your routers have WIC-1T's you want to get a DB60 DCE/DTE crossover cable