Options

Interview lab test

snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have a "skills test" coming up for a job I am pursuing. The guy I spoke to said it was a couple workstations and servers in their lab that had issues or were broken. I'm not too worried about it as I am assuming it is fairly basic stuff (things are unplugged, tcp/ip settings configured incorrectly, loading pst file for a user, and user account being locked out possibly) but am not sure what to expect. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with these types of tests. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have a "skills test" coming up for a job I am pursuing. The guy I spoke to said it was a couple workstations and servers in their lab that had issues or were broken. I'm not too worried about it as I am assuming it is fairly basic stuff (things are unplugged, tcp/ip settings configured incorrectly, loading pst file for a user, and user account being locked out possibly) but am not sure what to expect. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with these types of tests. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Just be sure it's a real lab and not somebody trying to get you to fix all their broken stuff for free while disguising it as an interview! icon_lol.gif
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Options
    bwcarty wrote: »
    Just be sure it's a real lab and not somebody trying to get you to fix all their broken stuff for free while disguising it as an interview! icon_lol.gif

Indeed! Good point. I didn't even think about that. I'll make sure it is a real lab before I do anything. :D
  • Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    That sounds way better than the typical interview process!!
  • Options
    tomahawkeertomahawkeer Member Posts: 179
    I would love an interview like that. Hands on would rock!
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    Typically your told this is the problem and its upto you to fix it. You've got the scenarios covered how complex they are depends on the level of the role.
    Don't worry about anything your not capable of\or havent come acroos before, as the idea is for them to learn about your troubleshooting skills as much as your skill level.
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Many employers are starting to go that route. Its one of the only ways to truly evaluate the technical abilities of someone.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    I had a hands-on interview once -- one of the tasks were to disassemble and reassemble a Dell D620 laptop. Luckily, I have lot of experience replacing motherboards on that model from a previous job, so needless to say, that was the easiest interview I ever had!
    Usus magister est optimus
  • Options
    I agree, it is great they do a hands on test. It certainly weeds out some candidates who will lie or seem too good to be true. But that is not the final interview or deciding factor. After that, there is a personality test, a lunch meeting with other staff, and then they decide if they want to hire.
  • Options
    DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I had one of these for an entry tech job at a local company using a laptop, desktop, router and a printer. They had set up some pit falls like: bad cables, diabled nic, no dhcp, ect. I was still learning a lot at the time and even though I never got stumped the other applicant did everything a little quicker and I didn't get the job. But it was a great learning experience none the same. Good Luck!
  • Options
    I went in for this today. The test was actually pretty difficult for a hands on interview. 3 pages of issues and random stuff that had to be set up (dns, printers,etc) in an all VM environment. Nothing was too crazy but a couple hours in, the VM's locked up and kept crashing. Now I have to reschedule. It kinda sucks, but the guy was very sorry about the whole thing and even said he owed me a lunch for coming in. I am going to do their "personality" test tonight and expect a call from him in the next couple days to reschedule.
  • Options
    Update:

I went in and did the hands on test again with no hiccups. I also had lunch with some of the staff and am going in for a job offer tomorrow. I'm excited as this company has a lot of perks and gives their employees 80 hours a year to pursue further certifications.So stoked!
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    Many employers are starting to go that route. Its one of the only ways to truly evaluate the technical abilities of someone.

An old colleague of mine went into an interview once and they gave him a lab, gave him 30 mins to fix the things they listed down, it took him 20 minutes. They went for a tea break, he came back in and they said ohh something else is wrong with it, please fix. They had done nasty little things like kill services and corrupted xyz.

I really would prefer this type of interview, as it shows what you are all about and whether you will panic or rise to the challenge.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Update:

I went in and did the hands on test again with no hiccups. I also had lunch with some of the staff and am going in for a job offer tomorrow. I'm excited as this company has a lot of perks and gives their employees 80 hours a year to pursue further certifications.So stoked!

awesome news, be proud!

Pash
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    bwcarty wrote: »

I've had that happen to me before.