Router setup

JASON123JASON123 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
Ok, this is going to sound really dumb. I have a cisco 2501 router and wanted to know which port do I hookup my ethernet cable from my cable box to my 2501 router? Thanks

Comments

• tunerXtunerX Member Posts: 447 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You need a transceiver. Get an rj45 full duplex one. I recommend a Centrecom 210ts. You should be able to get them on ebay for a couple bucks.
  • viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Check this link out. This will help you.

http://www.techexams.net/technotes/ccna/lab_hardware.shtml
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • JASON123JASON123 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took a look at the techlab but I still couldn't quite figure it out. I have the DCE and the DTE cables to hook up two of the routers I have through the Serial 0 port. I bought the ethernet transceivers and thought that they were for hooking up and ethernet cable from the router to a PC or a switch. Do I use the AUI port with a ethernet transceiver to hookup my cable box line to the router and then use the aux to hook up to a computer or a switch? I know that the aux is used for out of band management but I am not sure how else to set it up. Thanks for all of your help
  • DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    You're probably going to have to use a crossover cable to go from the cable modem to the router, btw

Ok, 2501's only have one Ethernet port. So you can connect that router to either your switch or to your cable modem, not both. The Aux port isn't an ethernet port, so you're not going to be able to hook up anything in the LAN to it.

If you have two 2501's you could hook one up to the cable modem, connect the routers together via serial, and then hook the second 2501 up to a switch.

Have fun setting up NAT :)
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • JASON123JASON123 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I guess it is a good thing I bought two routers!! Thank you very much that helps out a lot.