Options

I got a job!!

It had been so long since I applied, I'd actually forgotten about it completely. I had a brief phone interview and they wanted to go on and bring me in, so I drove down to Fort Worth and got a verbal a few days later! Halleluiah! It's a mid-senior network engineer role that's part operations and part project work - very firewall heavy so this is good for my skill set. I haven't worked since I went into the hospital 7/08/09 to try to not deliver (only made it 8 days but what critical 8 days they were...I have such miraculously healthy little ones now). I'll just have to be on call every 6 weeks - far better than the 24x7 on call in my last network job. Pay is lower than what I made in DC but enough for me and two little ones to make it on pretty easily. Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OK, I confess, I do have one certification. I am an ACIA - Arcsight Certified Integrator/Administrator. But it's awarded for attending the class. Woot. And while it's a fine skill to have, my interests lay elsewhere.

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That's great news!
    Congrats!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Awesome! I'm sure that takes a load off your stress level. When you know what you're doing, though, work will always come eventually.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    Congrats!! .... I suppose you need to change your "Certifications" now. :)
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • Options
    jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    Congrats!!! I have to agree with xen. It was only a matter of time! icon_thumright.gif
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
  • Options
    GrynderGrynder Member Posts: 106
    Congratulations.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Awesome? What type of firewalls are you going to work with? And most importantly when are you going to pick up a few certs? icon_lol.gif Congrats! I'm glad everything worked out for you. Plus we now we have another woman/minority in a senior role icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Goddess

Always appreciated your positive demeanor even through your trying times. You show a lot of class and patience. Congradulations on your new gig. I wish you continued growth and progress.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations on the Job!! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_thumright.gif I had a feeling it would work out for you!
  • Options
    katierosekatierose Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!!! It's awesome to see another lady in the Dallas-Forth Worth area getting a network admin role! :)
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sounds great. Enjoy your new job!
  • Options
    L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    congrats!
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    great news. Good luck
  • Options
    SubnettingGoddessSubnettingGoddess Member Posts: 108
    Thank you all. I am on cloud nine right now. :)
    OK, I confess, I do have one certification. I am an ACIA - Arcsight Certified Integrator/Administrator. But it's awarded for attending the class. Woot. And while it's a fine skill to have, my interests lay elsewhere.
  • Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thats Fantastic!!!! Congrats, you deserve it!!!!
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    Don't forget to edit your details!
    You're no longer unemployed!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    earweed, I have to move so my start date is 4 weeks away. I promise to change it as soon as I actually start working!
  • Options
    Sorry, got a little anxious.
    I'm actually starting a new job next week which is going to be quite taxing on me and my family. It's a 2 hour commute and I can't afford to move right now so I'll be staying with my niece (who lives in that area) during the week for a few weeks until I can arrange a move. I'm still somewhat of an IT noob and this is just a Desktop support job but it's an opportunity to get out there in the IT job market.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    earweed wrote: »
    I'm actually starting a new job next week which is going to be quite taxing on me and my family. It's a 2 hour commute and I can't afford to move right now so I'll be staying with my niece (who lives in that area) during the week for a few weeks until I can arrange a move. I'm still somewhat of an IT noob and this is just a Desktop support job but it's an opportunity to get out there in the IT job market.

Awesome man! It is good to see that you are going to be able to put those certs to good use! Also it is good to see your family supports you. icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    earweed wrote: »

Congrats on the new job! It looks like our numbers are coming up :)
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Congratulations!
    icon_cheers.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats! Sounds like a great opportunity for you.
  • Options
    cbsharpe0824cbsharpe0824 Member Posts: 153
    It had been so long since I applied, I'd actually forgotten about it completely. I had a brief phone interview and they wanted to go on and bring me in, so I drove down to Fort Worth and got a verbal a few days later! Halleluiah! It's a mid-senior network engineer role that's part operations and part project work - very firewall heavy so this is good for my skill set. I haven't worked since I went into the hospital 7/08/09 to try to not deliver (only made it 8 days but what critical 8 days they were...I have such miraculously healthy little ones now). I'll just have to be on call every 6 weeks - far better than the 24x7 on call in my last network job. Pay is lower than what I made in DC but enough for me and two little ones to make it on pretty easily. Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's awesome! Congratulations and I wish you well in your new position! God is indeed good!
  • Options
    curtisdaleycurtisdaley Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well done!

Katie Rose, hows things with you?
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good work. What type of firewalls? How big is the network?
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    Thank you thank you thank you all! It gets even better. I get RELO!!!!! Holy crap, how unexpected. icon_cheers.gif

eta Paul, it is big! It's a large company with many branches. Currently netscreens in all branches but soon to be replaced.
  • Options
    apr911apr911 Member Posts: 380 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! Sounds like a lot of fun.

Might be lower pay but as Im sure you are already aware cost of living in TX is much less than DC and hey, the relo has to help to right?
    Currently Working On: Openstack
    2020 Goals: AWS/Azure/GCP Certifications, F5 CSE Cloud, SCRUM, CISSP-ISSMP
  • Options
    Actually I live in a small Texas town already - I moved here so as to be able to support my children on very limited funds. But yes, I know my money will go much further!