Options

What am I doing wrong?

wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm running VMWare workstation and I keep running into a problem every time I want to add a new computer to my domain. I'm running a PFSense VMware image on VMnet 5 and has a gateway of 192.168.2.1.

I can't add computers to my domain without having to statically assign both IP and DNS if I don't do either of them the computer can't find the domain controller. I'm studying the 70-640 so we haven't covered DHCP and what not. I'm getting annoyed at having to assign everything as I know this doesn't happen in a real world environment.

What can I do to make it more "real world" like?

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Options
    willhi1979willhi1979 Member Posts: 191
    wweboy wrote: »
    I'm running VMWare workstation and I keep running into a problem every time I want to add a new computer to my domain. I'm running a PFSense VMware image on VMnet 5 and has a gateway of 192.168.2.1.

I can't add computers to my domain without having to statically assign both IP and DNS if I don't do either of them the computer can't find the domain controller. I'm studying the 70-640 so we haven't covered DHCP and what not. I'm getting annoyed at having to assign everything as I know this doesn't happen in a real world environment.

What can I do to make it more "real world" like?

Thanks for the help.

No, there's no way around it unless you use DHCP for the DNS side of things. If you have a DHCP-enabled router on the same subnet that could assign the addresses, but you'd still have to add them to DNS so you can register them.
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well try to read DHCP really quick it's very easy to setup and saves you a lot of time.