Options

64-bit guest OS not supported

EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
So since 2008 R2 is on the MCITP exams, I decided to upgrade my E4600 @ 2.4GHz dual-core machine from XP to Windows 7 64 bit. I threw Workstation 7.1.2 on it and tried to install 64bit 2008 R2 and it said " This host does not support VT ". I check Intel's website and sure enough the E4600 doesnt do VT. I didnt do my homework and learnt the lesson the hard way.

Is there a way around this or would I need to upgrade the processor? I have scoured the BIOS but cannot find a VT related setting. TIA.
NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com

Comments

• Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    You'd need a different CPU. You can still run VMs in your vmware workstation, just not 64 bit ones. Sorry icon_sad.gif
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Essendon wrote: »
    So since 2008 R2 is on the MCITP exams, I decided to upgrade my E4600 @ 2.4GHz dual-core machine from XP to Windows 7 64 bit. I threw Workstation 7.1.2 on it and tried to install 64bit 2008 R2 and it said " This host does not support VT ". I check Intel's website and sure enough the E4600 doesnt do VT. I didnt do my homework and learnt the lesson the hard way.

Is there a way around this or would I need to upgrade the processor? I have scoured the BIOS but cannot find a VT related setting. TIA.
    As ehnde said, you need a new CPU. It's really annoying that Intel thinks VT is a "premium" feature for some reason. In contrast, every AMD CPU sold for about the last half decade includes AMD-V. You can check individual CPUs on Intel's web site, but a good reference is actually Wikipedia. It has lists of various processor generations and the supported features so you can easily find CPUs that support VT, for example here:
    List of Intel Core 2 microprocessors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, your motherboard needs to allow you to enable it, so the fact that you don't see it is troubling. Most motherboards I've seen will have the option, even if the CPU doesn't support it (in that case enabling it won't have any affect). Check the motherboard manual and/or specs to ensure that the motherboard supports it. It may need a BIOS update. Hopefully you don't need a new motherboard, too. icon_sad.gif
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    Thanks for the info folks. I think the mobo needs an update, the current BIOS version in from 2007. Man, dont I live in the past icon_sad.gif

I have been wanting to buy a new machine, but am strapped for funds, especially because I have just bought a new house. I'll stick with x86 VM's for now, and read up on any new features that R2 offers. O well...
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well you really need to practice with R2, reading alone could not be enough. Now questions are still in Beta and we don't know what is counted and what is not but in the near future it's gonna be R2 all the way and it does have new features.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The next cheapest model supporting VT is the E6300 - about $50 on eBay - might be worth upgrading cheap-ish .... (check your motherboard is supporting the CPU - needs a bios upgrade sometimes)

Here a list of dual core supporting VT

Intel® Core?2 Duo Desktop Processor Family
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    I'll hold off upgrading for a while, and when I have saved enough money, I'll go for a machine that'll last me for 2-3 years. I might just save more money that way and be able to boast about it at work icon_cool.gif

Thanks for that link Gomjaba and I'll keep your point in mind, za3bour.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..