Options

Any tips to get OEMs to send replacement parts?

exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
I discovered recently on my HP machine that the front audio dongle/cable is faulty as I can only hear sound from one speaker (I double-checked all audio settings.) I decided to contact HP for a replacement front dongle and so far they are refusing to send a replacement part and insist that I send my computer to them.

I don't want to send the computer to them as I need it for schoolwork and if they reformat my hard drive, I''ll be talking to Microsoft's India support all night trying to get Office 2007 reactivated (as the key is out of uses).

Has anyone had any luck getting HP or other OEMs to send them "non user serviceable parts"?

Comments

• Options
    neocybeneocybe Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    They may either drop ship the part to a service provider in the area and send a tech to you or you can get the part number on hp's website and google it to find an online retailer.
  • Options
    I've found the part number: 537309-001 but so far I've only found one place that sells them for a rip-off price of around $70.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I figure you have a few options.

1. You could ask them again if you can simply replace it yourself.

2. Assuming they say no, make an image of your hard drive before sending it in.

3. See solution before assuming this is a desktop with working rear ports.

duct-tape.jpg

+

21-ZttstK7L.jpg

=

Solved - Instant working front audio port.
  • Options
    lol @ the redneck option (#3)
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I had the same thing with my HP laptop. A key on my keyboard popped off. I stuck it back on, but it was never the same and came off a few days later. They were going to overnight me stuff to send them my computer, sit it on their shelf for 7-10 days, and then overnight it back. They won't let me replace myself, they won't let me take it anywhere to be fixed.

Sorry, fixing a key isn't worth not having my laptop for over a week. I went on ebay and bought a keyboard for $15 (with shipping) and replaced it myself. $15 is not worth being laptopless for 1-2 weeks. I'm sure your cable is a quick cheap fix as well.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    I figure you have a few options.

1. You could ask them again if you can simply replace it yourself.

2. Assuming they say no, make an image of your hard drive before sending it in.

1. They won't. I spoke with like 4 people. I even pulled the "well Dell did it with my girlfriends laptop, and Dell sent me a replacement keyboard with the condition that if I break it then it is my problem." They just said well they aren't dell, and their keyboards are not user replaceable objects. (Which is bull. Pop off the cover, take out 3 screws that were under it plus the one on the bottom, disconnect the ribbon, and then install the new keyboard in reverse order.)

2. Just pull the whole HDD out. They don't need that to replace a cable.
  • Options
    So far the cheapest price that I've found on a replacement is $40 (still a ripoff price).
  • Options
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    2. Just pull the whole HDD out. They don't need that to replace a cable.

That would be a logical choice but I'm sure I would be getting a phone call from them claiming that they can't test the repair or something even though they should have some drives lying around pre-installed with Windows.
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    why don't you get a cheap 10$ sound card?
    Edit - I re-read your Post :D ..Please Ignore my comment
  • Options
    wd40 wrote: »
    why don't you get a cheap 10$ sound card?

I don't want to have something stick out on the front of my computer (assuming you are referring to a USB one.)
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    exampasser wrote: »
    I don't want to have something stick out on the front of my computer (assuming you are referring to a USB one.)
    Please see my Edit above .. :)

by the way, what is the model of your PC?
  • Options
    wd40 wrote: »
    Please see my Edit above .. :)

by the way, what is the model of your PC?

It's an HP Pavilion Elite 230f (HPE-230f).
  • Options
    exampasser wrote: »
    It's an HP Pavilion Elite 230f (HPE-230f).

Can I get the serial number from the tag on the bottom? Either a reply or PM works for me.
  • Options
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Can I get the serial number from the tag on the bottom? Either a reply or PM works for me.
    PM'ed ya