Options

Question on being in IT

Alhaji265Alhaji265 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello All!

I want to know what made you guys (and gals) get into IT? What gave you the interest and passion to be in this field and what motivated you guys to keep doing it when it got dull and boring? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I needed a job after university, thought I'd give IT a shot. It has turned out to be a great decision thus far, best thing about this field of work is you are not stuck with the one thing, if you tire of something you can always start learning another technology. Games is another thing that hooked me to computers at an early age.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I do it because I love the users!

Actually, the real reason is I just dislike jobs which change very little. I like the fast pace that's easy to find in most workplaces in the IT department, and I enjoy the fast pace of technology advancing and the industry changing to accommodate new technology.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I hate being bored. I need to learn new things and be challenged intellectually. It's the puzzle factor for me.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The cool initials!
    Computers have been a hobby of mine for years and have always intereted me. Learning new things and not being bored are a big appeal for IT as there is so much to learn, you'll never know everything.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    earweed wrote: »
    The cool initials!

Har har! I thought you were talking about the cool initials like MCITP, MCSE, Etc..
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    earweed wrote: »
    The cool initials!

I'm not sure about you, but being able to proclaim to the ladies that I do it for a living hasn't got me anywhere - so I disagree with your analysis.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I do it because I love the users!

What is a user? Oh you mean luser? Yup, love them with all my heart.
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Didn't know what to do after highschool. Looked at the list of college subjects and picked one that looked easy, ie., not standing up all day. Oops. icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I fell into it after University. I'm still here because I like change and technology. That, and I need to pay the bills :)
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Alhaji265 wrote: »
    Hello All!

I want to know what made you guys (and gals) get into IT? What gave you the interest and passion to be in this field and what motivated you guys to keep doing it when it got dull and boring? Thanks.

In 20 years, it has rarely been dull and boring.
    Kam.
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    I get paid pretty well, so that helps a lot. I also like being in a corporate environment where I can easily measure my value. I don't have to kiss a lot of butt because my work speaks for itself. I think IT is the only place where you can sit in a room of MBAs and tell them they don't know crap and to do what I say.