Options

troubleshooting help needed

SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
I have 2 1721 routers that I just got, and I need help troubleshooting, and fixing them.

1 of them had a corrupted or damaged IOS, it booted straight to ROMON. I needed an IOS image to resore it with, but of course the DL from cisco required a contract.

I was going to copy the IOS from the other, but the configuration was still in the router, and while going through the process of resetting it, it looks like I f*ked up. I can tell you I performed a reset, then I restored to defaults, when it rebooted, it had a password on it again, but not the password from the previous config. I reset it again, and looked at the startup conf (but it appeared to be missing. Before I could copy run start, my term appeared to stop responding. After restarting, Both routers just blink OK at me. I cannot see anything from them on my terminal, not even a boot sequence.

Help.

Comments

• Options
    EDIT: switched out the rollover, and I can get into 1 dev, ATM, will update.

All devices are showing on TT now, maybe the cable went bad, suddenly?

anyway, I see that I might be able to copy the IOS to the PCMIA card, but I dont know if this model has one, or where it is/how to replace. Thoughts?
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    what you want to do is download a TFTP program and then transfer the IOS from the working device to your PC. Then TFTP the IOS to the other device. I use solarwinds version at home

TFTP, Free TFTP Server, TFTP Server: Free Network Monitoring Tools | SolarWinds
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options

• Options
    hi, and thanks for your help.

I am almost there, but I am stuck at copying the image. I am usingtftpd32 (Solarwinds supposedly has some security configs that could give me problems)

neither router has IP addresses or anything, so I am attempting to configure it now... wish me luck. I only need a connection from the router to the PC right? Not to the internet?
  • Options
    SephStorm wrote: »
    hi, and thanks for your help.

I am almost there, but I am stuck at copying the image. I am usingtftpd32 (Solarwinds supposedly has some security configs that could give me problems)

neither router has IP addresses or anything, so I am attempting to configure it now... wish me luck. I only need a connection from the router to the PC right? Not to the internet?

correct, you need the router and your pc on the same subnet, plug both into a switch or connect directly together with a crossover cable

rommon 3 > set
    PS1=rommon ! >
    IP_ADDRESS=172.18.16.76
    IP_SUBNET_MASK=255.255.255.192
    DEFAULT_GATEWAY=172.18.16.65
    TFTP_SERVER=172.18.16.2
    TFTP_FILE=quake/rel22_Jan_16/c2600-i-mz

• Options
    Sorry to have so many basic questions, but urg...

EDIT: I could set the ip on the PC once I connected the switch to my (internet) router now I can ping from the pc to the (Cisco) router, and to the internet router, and the router can ping the internet router, but I cant ping from the cisco router to the pc.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What exactly is your "internet router"? and how are all the devices connected?
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    SephStorm wrote: »
    I cant ping from the cisco router to the pc.
    It's probably the PC firewall -- either disable it temporarily or change the firewall setting to allow ICMP and FTP from the local network.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options