Options

Question on similar commands.

bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
I'm reviewing my wallace/watkins book, and I'm coming across a few things; whether questions about inconsistencies or whatever, so I'll be spending the next few days bugging this board with questions. Hope you don't mind :D

I'm on chapter 2, scribbling down notes so I have a '**** sheet' for my labbing, and I can't help but notice the similarity between the 'security authentication failure rate # log' and 'login block-for # attempts # within #' commands.

Obviously the 2nd command is more useful, by nature of having more options to choose, but other than that, is there any major difference between the 2? Situations where 1 is more useful than the other?

Now that I'm thinking though, I suppose they sortof overlap. The 2nd for automated/brute-force attacks where attempts are made rather quickly, while the first (with it's lack of a within seconds option) may be more for when someone is more passively trying to see if they can guess the login perhaps?

EDIT: err, except it still only blocks for 15 seconds, so I retract that. I don't see where the 1st command (security authentication failure) would be more useful than the other command.
Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno

Comments

• Options
    Further investigation seems to suggest the 'security authentication failure' command is either deprecated or non-functional somehow. I tested this by setting it the rate 2, and doing several failed logins with neither logging nor a 15-second delay (yes I added the log flag).

Unfortunately I'm also finding some problems with the login block-for and login delay and login on-failure commands. I've entered all 3 commands. Block-for is 60 seconds for 2 failures within 10 seconds. Delay set to 2, and on-failure logging set to log every 2 attempts. Since I wanted to clarify if the on-failure/success logging (is it every other, or 2 failures in a row?), I spammed a bunch of failed telnet attempts.

talon@Hoopla:~$ date
    Wed Oct 20 22:31:44 CDT 2010

talon@Hoopla:~$ telnet 192.168.1.200
    Trying 192.168.1.200...
    Connected to 192.168.1.200.
    Escape character is '^]'.

User Access Verification

Password:
    Password:
    Password:
    % Bad passwords
    Connection closed by foreign host.
    Trying 192.168.1.200...

User Access Verification

Password:
    Password:
    Password:
    % Bad passwords
    Trying 192.168.1.200...

User Access Verification

Password:
    Password:
    Router>quit
    talon@Hoopla:~$ date
    Wed Oct 20 22:32:18 CDT 2010
    talon@Hoopla:~$

You can see in roughly 30 seconds there I had 7 failures and 1 success. Is there something further I need to have enabled for this to work?

(yes, I'm using telnet; it's a lab and a blog entry and I haven't switched to using ssh in it yet)

• Options
    Several searches and I locate a previous, similar thread here:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccnp/53464-generating-failed-logins.html

I've verified doing a 'login local' does make these commands start working.

If you don't want to make user accounts for your local database (for whatever reason), I also got things working by turning on AAA and making the default method list use my enable secret pass.
    Router(config)#aaa new-model
    Router(config)#aaa authentication login ENABLE_AUTH enable
    Router(config)#aaa authentication login NO_AUTH none
    Router(config)#line con 0
    Router(config-line)#login authentication NO_AUTH
    Router(config-line)#line vty 0 15
    Router(config-line)#login authentication ENABLE_AUTH

Tried telnetting in, and immediately noticed the 2 second delay between attemps, and after 2 failed attempts, I got the logs
    *Mar 3 11:36:08.129: %SEC_LOGIN-4-LOGIN_FAILED: Login failed [user: ] [Source: 192.168.1.3] [localport: 23] [Reason: Login Authentication Failed] at 11:36:08 UTC Sun Mar 3 2002

*Mar 3 11:36:08.133: %SEC_LOGIN-1-QUIET_MODE_ON: Still timeleft for watching failures is 7 secs, [user: ] [Source: 192.168.1.3] [localport: 23] [Reason: Login Authentication Failed] [ACL: sl_def_acl] at 11:36:08 UTC Sun Mar 3 2002

*Mar 3 11:36:13.993: %SEC-6-IPACCESSLOGP: list sl_def_acl denied tcp 192.168.1.3(39924) -> 0.0.0.0(23), 1 packet

and
    Trying 192.168.1.200...
    telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused
    talon@Hoopla:~$

I thought I'd just post the solution in case anyone else was having similar difficulties.