Anyone find ICND2 much easier than ICND1

PhildoBagginsPhildoBaggins Member Posts: 276
I'm studying for ICND2 and its just so much more hands-on. I think its a much easier test to study for because its just more lab-friendly. I find that even though you get into some heavier concepts such as ACL's the overall amount of commands required to learn seems to be less than ICND1.

What do you all think?

ICND1 harder than ICND2
vs
ICND2 harder than ICND1

Comments

• rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I found the CCENT material easier because I beat it to death with self-study and then took Cisco Network Academy classes on top of it; for ICND2, I just self-studied. I definitely loved the hands on feel of ICND2 more than the CCENT stuff but for me CCENT was easier (not to say that either exam wasn't "hard").
  • fieldmonkeyfieldmonkey Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I found ICND2 harder than ICND1, I didn't have a problem with the straight forward questions, but the SIMS killed me. I don't feel I got any points on my SIMS, but did plausible on the questions.

I failed 725/825, ICND1 tested just the basics IMO and subnetting. The SIMS I was given, on ICND2 were daunting...don't recall doing any labs at that level, and used the Odom book.

I'm not sure if everyone gets the same level of SIMS, but the few I got required alot of hands on experience so be sure to get your lab time in and know all those commands inside and out. I'll eventually sit it again maybe twice (lol), since I have sat on the CCENT now for six months.
    WIP:
    Husband & Fatherhood Caitlin Grace born 8-26-2010

Future Certs:
    Q1-2011 - INCD2, Microsoft or Linux (decisions, decisions...)
  • WillTech105WillTech105 Member Posts: 216
    Haha, funny enough I took the ICDN2 today and failed with a 798! The passing score of 825 -- so CLOSE!!

I found the ICND1 MUCH easier. ICND2 requires alot more hands on versus theory I find.

I feel that I lost points on the VLSM questions. I am a master at regular 192.168.0.0 or 10.0.0.0 questions but when they start throwing 192.168.39.92/29 I'm like "ah...." Speaking of -- I need to make a thread about a pratice question on subnettingquestions.com
    In Progress: CCNP ROUTE
  • tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    Haha, funny enough I took the ICDN2 today and failed with a 798! The passing score of 825 -- so CLOSE!!

I found the ICND1 MUCH easier. ICND2 requires alot more hands on versus theory I find.

I feel that I lost points on the VLSM questions. I am a master at regular 192.168.0.0 or 10.0.0.0 questions but when they start throwing 192.168.39.92/29 I'm like "ah...." Speaking of -- I need to make a thread about a pratice question on subnettingquestions.com

For the VLSM questions just practice a few easier ones and use a system that works for you. The when it comes to the less obvious subnets it won't matter.

I found ICND2 harder for sure. I suspect most people who already have a Net+ would be of a similar opinion. I found for the ccent there was a lot less new material for me whereas for ICND2 it was all new.
  • jmc012jmc012 Member Posts: 134
    I'm studying for ICND2 and its just so much more hands-on. I think its a much easier test to study for because its just more lab-friendly. I find that even though you get into some heavier concepts such as ACL's the overall amount of commands required to learn seems to be less than ICND1.

What do you all think?

ICND1 harder than ICND2
    vs
    ICND2 harder than ICND1

I would rather take ICND2 any day, ICND1 just seemed harder to me. I didn't feel the time pressure on 2.
  • PhildoBagginsPhildoBaggins Member Posts: 276
    I found ICND2 harder than ICND1, I didn't have a problem with the straight forward questions, but the SIMS killed me. I don't feel I got any points on my SIMS, but did plausible on the questions.

I failed 725/825, ICND1 tested just the basics IMO and subnetting. The SIMS I was given, on ICND2 were daunting...don't recall doing any labs at that level, and used the Odom book.

I'm not sure if everyone gets the same level of SIMS, but the few I got required alot of hands on experience so be sure to get your lab time in and know all those commands inside and out. I'll eventually sit it again maybe twice (lol), since I have sat on the CCENT now for six months.

I feel yah I lab about 10-15 hours a week, thats on top of 45 hours day job, full school class load at the university and a new wife lol

It take alot of hands on for sure to get to that "2nd nature" with IOS commands and whatnot.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I really hope that the ICND2 is easier than the ICND1 for me. I want to pass this on the first try or get really close. Sucks not having the right gear.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • PhildoBagginsPhildoBaggins Member Posts: 276
    I really hope that the ICND2 is easier than the ICND1 for me. I want to pass this on the first try or get really close. Sucks not having the right gear.

You don't know a Kirk Yamada in your area do you?
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You don't know a Kirk Yamada in your area do you?

No ????
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • BroadcastStormBroadcastStorm Member Posts: 496
    CCENT can be a rude awakening especially for folks that doesn't have heavy experience with networking.
  • bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I found ICND2 easier, even though walking in to take it, I felt I was MUCH less prepared (got a good deal on an expiring voucher).

Like others have said, I found ICND2 more practical and ICND1 more ... theory? I suppose, which would make sense, as I learn practical things more easily.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • CoolhandlukeCoolhandluke Member Posts: 118
    Im finding the ICND2 material doesn't stick in my head as easy as the ICND1 stuff. For me the ICND1 stuff was quite easy and i found it all very easy to remember. Like everyone has said, the ICND2 is alot more hands on and i think it all goes slightly deeper whereas the ICND1 was alot broader.

I have read the cisco press stuff twice and watched the cbt nuggets stuff quite alot. Booked my ICND2 for November so hopefully by then i can make it all stick !
    [CCENT]->[CCNA]->[CCNP-ROUTE]->COLOR=#0000ff]CCNP SWITCH[/COLOR->[CCNP-TSHOOT]
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Im finding the ICND2 material doesn't stick in my head as easy as the ICND1 stuff. For me the ICND1 stuff was quite easy and i found it all very easy to remember. Like everyone has said, the ICND2 is alot more hands on and i think it all goes slightly deeper whereas the ICND1 was alot broader.

I have read the cisco press stuff twice and watched the cbt nuggets stuff quite alot. Booked my ICND2 for November so hopefully by then i can make it all stick !

See, that's how I felt too, but I either got really lucky with the questions, or I understood without understanding I understood, cause after the first 5 questions of ICND2 I started being afraid of some 'trickery' the questions seemed so easy.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno