Options

ACL Implicit deny

Camster187Camster187 Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Was doing an extended ACL on a packet tracer lab of which the final statement was: all other access is implicitly denied - as an objective. As far as I am aware nothing needs to be typed at the end of an ACL if you plan to implicitly deny all other traffic. However this packet tracer lab acually wanted me to type 'deny ip any any.' Just wondering if this came up in the exam would I be expected to type it out as the ACL will naturally do whats been asked anyway?

Comments

• Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    If you get something like that in an exam situation my advice would be to actually type in the commands. While you understand that the rule is there thats a good thing, would you really want to risk losing points due to a silly interpretation of a question.
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    Camster187Camster187 Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you get something like that in an exam situation my advice would be to actually type in the commands. While you understand that the rule is there thats a good thing, would you really want to risk losing points due to a silly interpretation of a question.

Thats a fair point really, it's something I will have to start making a habit of from now in that case. Thanks.
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm not sure I would 100% agree with that, although I can see both arguments being valid.

On one hand, Jeremy from CBTNuggets said it's not a bad idea to add the deny any any line to the end of your ACL's just so when you're reviewing them you don't have to always remember it's there, which makes sense. Plus your lab apparently wanted it added.

On the other hand though, it's there for a reason, and you'd think a Cisco exam wouldn't make you add it to an ACL when Cisco coded in the automatic deny any any, or mark you wrong for not adding something that they already (invisibly) do. Plus the word implicit does mean 'implied, rather than expressly stated' (among other definitions), suggesting the implied deny any any at the end should be enough.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    A good reason for manually typing the deny any statement is so that when you do a show access-list you can see how many matches this got.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    ive gotten in the habit of adding the deny at the end for the reason stated above - i dont forget about it when reviewing acl's. we can all do boneheaded stuff and forget the basics, that's just one way to guard against it.

And it's not likely you'd be counted off on the exam if you did add it, though if it was looking for it, it would count against you, so just be safe and manually add it
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That's a good point. The exams don't ding you if you do something beyond what's required to 'pass' the question, only if you don't. So it's probably best after all!
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    bermovick wrote: »
    That's a good point. The exams don't ding you if you do something beyond what's required to 'pass' the question, only if you don't. So it's probably best after all!

Generally, if you're trying to do more than the exam requires, the sim will yell at you and say that's not enabled, so you know you're barking up the wrong tree. I can't see them disabling the ability to add a deny all to an access list though
  • Options
    PhildoBagginsPhildoBaggins Member Posts: 276
    This seems like it would be a non-issue. The test wont trick yah.

If its hard coded in the IOS it should be part of the test sim unless specified in the question
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I manage about 600 firewalls that all have a "deny any any" at the end. Its childish but I just feel better with the statement there.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/