Options

What's needed to obtain a Linux+

Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 184
If I'm wanting to get the Linux+ certification, what do I need to buy/obtain to do this so I can study it at home? Any special software/hardware other than a home computer setup?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Dr_Atomic wrote: »
    If I'm wanting to get the Linux+ certification, what do I need to buy/obtain to do this so I can study it at home? Any special software/hardware other than a home computer setup?

Thanks.

Well you might want linux (in a vm or on a physical box). I am using Centos, debian/ubuntu, Freebsd (personal knowledge not for the exam) and gentoo for my main studying VMs.
    You would want some study material (look in my thread for study material: http://www.techexams.net/forums/linux/58986-bl8ckr0uters-linux-trek.html)

And of course you need some time and money to study and pay for the test. I don't think you need too much for this one. I am using my laptop now (I am building a box) with a few vms and the books in the aforementioned thread.
  • Options
    Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 184
    Well you might want linux (in a vm or on a physical box). I am using Centos, debian/ubuntu, Freebsd (personal knowledge not for the exam) and gentoo for my main studying VMs.
    You would want some study material (look in my thread for study material: http://www.techexams.net/forums/linux/58986-bl8ckr0uters-linux-trek.html)

And of course you need some time and money to study and pay for the test. I don't think you need too much for this one. I am using my laptop now (I am building a box) with a few vms and the books in the aforementioned thread.

By "vm" are you meaning VMWare?
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Dr_Atomic wrote: »
    By "vm" are you meaning VMWare?

I mean virtual machine. I just so happen to have a copy of VMware workstation but I would use virtual box too. Either way.
  • Options
    PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    Yeah definitly use a VM, whether its VMWare or Virtual Box or some other thing it doesnt matter. Virtual Box is very good for a free platform, I use it on my Linux machines to get access to Windoze functionality when it's needed (like taking Transcenders since they only run in IE), very stable, no issues yet after MANY MANY months running VMs in it. In my windows machines I run VMWare, and I have not had issues with that either, Run Mint, Ubuntu, Cent OS, and Debian.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Agreed on using VMs. For Linux+ you don't need to know any GUI stuff (at least the one I took, I'm not sure about the new LPI version). A text mode Linux VM will be fine with 256MB RAM so even with a low-end PC you should be able to have plenty of VMs to study for Linux+.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV