Options

Where should I move?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Mishra wrote: »
    I would look at Columbus, OH. Sounds like it fits some of what you are looking for. The Carolinas also sounds great.
    -Sports. Buckeys support is wild there. Many many late night sports pubs

I would say that for people that aren't from Columbus that's a huge negative ;)

I went to Columbus on business last year and wore LSU V Ohio State National Championship stuff everywhere. It was glorious.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    Well look at this, another Louisvillian.

hey sweet, i thought I was alone here
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    subl1m1nalsubl1m1nal Member Posts: 176
    Miami is out (my spanish sucks). I don't want to really deal with hurricanes either. Seattle, Kansas City, Minneapolis, and St. Louis are in. Any thoughts on these cities?

Grrr...I need to start making a list. Good input guys. Thank you, the more info the merrier. I have no idea where I even want to go.

Heres what I'm thinking: Phoenix, Kansas City, San Francisco, Seattle?, St. Louis, Minneapolis, Carolinas (probably around columbia), Washington DC, Chicago, Columbus Ohio (even though I despise the Buckeyes and would probably be mugged for my Hawkeye loyalty).

Edit: Lets put Raleigh NC on the list as well. I need to do more research.

Edit2: Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio on there too.
    Currently Working On: 70-643 - Configuring Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure

Plans for 2010: MCITP:EA and CCNA
    70-648 - Done
    70-643 - In progress
    70-647 - Still on my list
    70-680 - Still on my list

www.coantech.com
    www.thecoans.net
    www.facebook.com/tylercoan
    www.twitter.com/tylercoan
    www.linkedin.com/users/tylercoan
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    subl1m1nal wrote: »
    Miami is out (my spanish sucks). I don't want to really deal with hurricanes either. Seattle, Kansas City, Minneapolis, and St. Louis are in. Any thoughts on these cities?

Grrr...I need to start making a list. Good input guys. Thank you, the more info the merrier. I have no idea where I even want to go.

Heres what I'm thinking: Phoenix, Kansas City, San Francisco, Seattle?, St. Louis, Minneapolis, Carolinas (probably around columbia), Washington DC, Chicago, Columbus Ohio (even though I despise the Buckeyes and would probably be mugged for my Hawkeye loyalty).

Edit: Lets put Raleigh NC on the list as well. I need to do more research.

Just to warn you, the humidity is insane in St. Louis. I lived there for a summer and hated it. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    Just to warn you, the humidity is insane in St. Louis. I lived there for a summer and hated it. icon_sad.gif

Probably pretty comparable to Iowa summers. Its not the heat, it's the humidity. Then come winter time, it's -10 degrees. Too extreme.
    Currently Working On: 70-643 - Configuring Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure

70-648 - Done
    70-643 - In progress

www.coantech.com
    www.thecoans.net
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Probably pretty comparable to Iowa summers. Its not the heat, it's the humidity. Then come winter time, it's -10 degrees. Too extreme.

Exactly...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□

We definitely do get a variety of weather here.
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637

I would rather deal with hurricanes than tornadoes, ice storms or blizzards. Getting caught in a hurricane is like being run over by a steamroller - you saw it coming a long way off and you could have gotten out of the way.

I moved from Kansas City to Tampa 7 years ago because Sprint imploded and killed the IT job market in KC. I don't know how well the market has recovered since. KC has good schools in several of the 'burbs and housing is probably still affordable.

If you don't like -10 in Iowa, how will you like -30 in Minneapolis?
  • Options
    How can you leave San Diego off your list? It's the best suggestion so far.
    pbosworth@gmail.com
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    How can you leave San Diego off your list? It's the best suggestion so far.

Also the most expensive?
  • Options
    TherhinoTherhino Member Posts: 122
    Have you considered WV at all. IF you can obtain a security clearance WV due to a couple of government facilities is definitely beginning to rise. WVU is about a 30 minute drive from a bunch of the facilities and also has its own hot bed of tech.

Shoot me a PM if you are interested in this area.
  • Options
    Claymoore wrote: »
    If you don't like -10 in Iowa, how will you like -30 in Minneapolis?

I wouldn't. But as I said earlier, I'm a huge Twins and Vikings fan. I could live with -30 in Minneapolis.

70-648 - Done
    70-643 - In progress

www.coantech.com
    www.thecoans.net
  • Options
    Therhino wrote: »
    Have you considered WV at all. IF you can obtain a security clearance WV due to a couple of government facilities is definitely beginning to rise. WVU is about a 30 minute drive from a bunch of the facilities and also has its own hot bed of tech.

Shoot me a PM if you are interested in this area.

I'll loop WV in with Washington DC. I don't have a security clearance. I'm not sure how hard they are to get, but I could see that as a possibility.

Sure, I'll also throw San Diego in. I'd like the weather, as long as IT is strong around there.

70-648 - Done
    70-643 - In progress

www.coantech.com
    www.thecoans.net
  • Options
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Also the most expensive?

Bull. I've been to just about every major city in America and feel comfortable saying that while the cost of living may be higher, so is the salary. I can take a job in San Diego doing the same thing I do in Baton Rouge and make twice as much. it may cost marginally more to live out there but the salary will be proportional.

Besides, there are places on the list, such as south florida, that are just-as if not more expensive than southern California.
    Sure, I'll also throw San Diego in. I'd like the weather, as long as IT is strong around there.

San Diego has an incredibly strong IT market.
    pbosworth@gmail.com
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good morning Tech Examers,

I'm coming to realize I need to move out of Iowa. I love Iowa, I just need to get away from it for a few years to experience something else. Where should I move? The following are important:

-IT jobs. Gotta have a job.
    -Cost of living. I realize Iowa has one of the lowest costs of living in the US. Something manageable
    -Weather. Not a big deal, but I really hate dealing with snow.
    -Education. I have a 1 year old son. My wife will be an elementary teacher.
    -Sports. I'm a huge football and basketball fan.
    -Nightlife/Things to do: Some place not as boring as Iowa.
    -Commute: I don't want to spend half a day commuting.

Looking at moving in about 2 years, but want to start preparing. Should I look at suburbs of bigger cities like Chicago, LA, or New York?

Well, other than snow, you might want to look at Indianapolis. Indiana has been minimally impacted by this recession and has a good cost of living. The suburbs to the north have been rated as some of the best places to live in the country, for many of your criteria.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    powerfool wrote: »
    Well, other than snow, you might want to look at Indianapolis. Indiana has been minimally impacted by this recession and has a good cost of living. The suburbs to the north have been rated as some of the best places to live in the country, for many of your criteria.

I never see that many IT jobs in Indianapolis. There are definitely jobs, but nothing like Texas/DC/New York/Carolinas/California.. and so on.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If i had to take a job in the states #1 would be texas there is no number 2 as the only other markets that can compete with where I am in toronto currently is in norcal which is rediculously expensive (san fran is too f'n cold with that wind). New york would come in right behind but it's way too beverly hills for me (leave manhatten and you'd think it was third world). Boston would be right behind ny but i find it to be utterly boring.

If cost of living is not a factor miami would be my true #2.
    My criteria are weather, population (1mil +), then cost of living.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I never see that many IT jobs in Indianapolis. There are definitely jobs, but nothing like Texas/DC/New York/Carolinas/California.. and so on.

My company is hiring 9 IT people right now.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    TherhinoTherhino Member Posts: 122
    I'll loop WV in with Washington DC. I don't have a security clearance. I'm not sure how hard they are to get, but I could see that as a possibility.

The cool thing here is the process has been a lot more streamlined for a clearance takes less than 6 months to be able to further your career for a long time...well 5 to 10 years
  • Options
    Indianapolis will be on my list of cities to research. I like the Colts. They have a few former Hawkeyes on their team. Weather...meh.

70-648 - Done
    70-643 - In progress

www.coantech.com
    www.thecoans.net