I Need Career Advice

tech.me.nowtech.me.now Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Everyone. I've read a lot throughout this forum in the past few weeks and found out that many posters are very knowledgeable. But I need advice specifically for me and wondering if you all can help me where to start.

I am 28y/o with a college degree in Psychology. I do not have IT-related professional experience.

So why IT? I've always been "techy". I built computers and dealt with simple household routers without reading stupid instruction manuals (nothing compared to what you guys are doing for work). At last job, I was called the "IT Guy" because I was always asked to help people with their desktop issues. I felt like I was taken advantage of while the IT guys, who couldn't do their job, got paid more than I did.

I love sitting in front of the computer all day. I feel like I can excel in this field while enjoying doing it. Learning wasn't and hope it isn't still hard for me. I was an EE major when I first started college, but I changed, not because I couldn't handle it academically but more because of a personal thing. EE isn't like IT, but I think it at least isn't like pyschology haha

My rich cousin is going to pay my schooling, so I want to get the best possible learning available. I am wondering if you guys can direct me to the right route.

Thanks!!!!

Comments

• brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Decide first if you want a B.S. or not. If you do, you have to find the right school.

If you decide you dont need one ( I lean towards this side since you have a BS already ) , you need to decide what part of IT you want to break into. Frontline helpdesk, web development, database, server administration, networking, security...its a big list.

That said, begin working towards a certification like the Microsoft 70-290 server exam. You might could shoot for an XP or W7 exam like the desktop support certifications, but its all up to you and your goals. Computer based training has been the best for me (CBT Nuggets and Trainsignal)...far better than just bookreading.

Expect to start at the bottom, and not make very much money.

Best of luck.
  • ArystaArysta Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I also have a liberal arts degree (English), and I'm currently going back to school for BSIT degree. Why? Because there are a LOT of jobs out there which require a BS in a computer related field OR quite a few yrs experience -- something I don't have. I'm in my early 30's and don't have 10-15 years to rack up enough experience to cancel out having a 4-yr degree (which will take me nowhere near 4 yrs because I have so many transfer credits from the English degree).

For me, it has worked out VERY well. I'm not done with college yet, and I already have a job as an entry level IT security analyst. How did I get it? They liked my English degree. They knew I'd have the ability to write, and they were looking for someone to help write the new security policies they're putting in place. They knew I'd need a lot of training, but they were willing to give me a chance because I demonstrated a serious college background and a willingness to further myself intellectually.

I know I'm insanely lucky as one of the few people who didn't have to start out on the help desk, and I doubt this happens to everyone with a liberal arts background, but if someone else is paying for your schooling, you should definitely do it! I'm going to WGU like a lot of the folks here, and once I explained their competency approach to my current employer (I basically just told them I'd graduate with several certifications), they were even more excited about hiring me.
  • tech.me.nowtech.me.now Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies.

Interesting story there Arysta. I had no idea there is such a degree called BSIT. WGU seems like a great school to apply to as there are good reviews about them. I just don't think I can go for another 2, 3, or 4 years to get another degree. I feel like I have ADHD, so I need some hands-on learning.

Actually, I went to a school called New Horizons and asked them for some career advice. Boy, I got a hand full. I sat listening to the career counselor thinking that he definitely comes from a business background; he's a salesman. You guys know anything about that school?

As for the new career change, I understand that I will be starting from the bottom. I was seeking towards at some type of help desk jobs. The studies for this position, as explained by the career counselor at NH, didn't seem too rigorous. For me, I am thinking about getting the most out of the classes there. Though I don't expect myself passing every certification tests, I want to get exposed to as much materials I can with the free training :)

Any thoughts?
  • MXWMXW Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey tech.me.now, I noticed you now have Network+ and Security+ certs. Congrats!

I'm also starting off in the IT field with a psychology college degree. Just curious, how did everything turn out? Did you take courses at New Horizons and find them useful? And did you skip the A+ cert?
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Since you already have a bachelor's, why not go for a masters degree? I don't know how much 2 bachelor degree's will be worth to employers. You may need to take a few courses before you move directly into the Masters program but I would definitely go that route.