Options

Passed 70-642

Taking a MCITP:SA Boot Camp course which is 6 days and 3 exams.

Wrote the 70-642 and scored a 930/1000 on it. icon_cheers.gif

Now to study for 70-640 which is Thursday. Then 70-646 on Saturday. :D
VCAP-DCA, VCP 55
MCITP: EA, VA, SA
VCAP-DCD, VCP6 -- COMING SOON

Comments

• Options
    LCALCA Member Posts: 215
    Well done!!!

That's one busy schedule.......

icon_cheers.gif
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://sqlsnapshots.blogspot.com/ - My SQL Server exam resources blog
  • Options
    Geetar28Geetar28 Member Posts: 101
    Congrats on the pass!!!...which bootcamp are you going to and what prep did you do beforehand?

Awesome score...by the way.
  • Options
    jojopramosjojopramos Member Posts: 415
    wow, incredible... congrats
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    Ron BrandtRon Brandt Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on that!
    Where in Ontario are you doing that?
    What texts are you using? The 70-642 is sitting on my desk right now.
  • Options
    CChilderhoseCChilderhose Member Posts: 137
    Geetar28 wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass!!!...which bootcamp are you going to and what prep did you do beforehand?

Awesome score...by the way.

The boot camp is through Global Knowledge and is in Toronto, Ontario.

I have been reading all the MS Press books beforehand and working with VMware Workstation 7 at home to practice. I also use Windows 2008 in my job and having the MCSA in 2003 helps too.

I was shocked at the score because there are 5 bars on the printed sheet you get - the bottom 4 were full and the top was 75% full. :D
    VCAP-DCA, VCP 55
  • Options
    Ron Brandt wrote: »
    Congrats on that!
    Where in Ontario are you doing that?
    What texts are you using? The 70-642 is sitting on my desk right now.

It is in Toronto I am taking the course through Global Knowlege which work paid for.

I have just used the MCITP:SA Self Study kit for this along with hands on using VMs and at work as that is my job being a Consultant.
    VCAP-DCA, VCP 55
  • Options
    Also passed the 70-640 today with an 820 score. Figured it would be slightly less as it has an extra thing being measure for 6 in total. Plus it is AD.

Well now to study for 646 which is Saturday and MCITP:SA. icon_cheers.gif
    VCAP-DCA, VCP 55
  • Options
    Awesome man!!! you're really knocking them out...

Hit the 646 hard tomorrow!!! Good Luck
  • Options
    Well failed 646 with a 656 score. I scored low on the 2 highest ranked sections of the exam. icon_sad.gif

Hitting those sections hard in Transcender and reading the chapters again in the MS Press book.

Once I receive my free second shot from Global Knowledge I am going to book it again and knock it out!! icon_cool.gif
    VCAP-DCA, VCP 55
  • Options
    Jander1023Jander1023 Member Posts: 160
    Sorry to hear. Glad you updated this thread. I was wondering how you did. Anything you would like to share about the 646? I am studying for this exam right now. Lots of new material for me. I'm not currently in a network position. How many questions? Was the exam updated to included R2?
  • Options
    Your not far off...and you obviously know your stuff. Second time round you'll knock it in the head...Good luck and let us know how you do.
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck for you in your second shot, 646 is hard so to be able to succeed in this time frame is really impressive.
  • Options
    Jander1023 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear. Glad you updated this thread. I was wondering how you did. Anything you would like to share about the 646? I am studying for this exam right now. Lots of new material for me. I'm not currently in a network position. How many questions? Was the exam updated to included R2?

The exam was only 40 questions and was updated yes. I wasn't far off and will knock it out next week. Just got my voucher from Global Knowledge to take it again free as they guaranteed for the boot camp on a pass. :)
    VCAP-DCA, VCP 55
  • Options
    za3bour wrote: »
    Good luck for you in your second shot, 646 is hard so to be able to succeed in this time frame is really impressive.

Yeah I knew 6 days was going to be tough and after getting through the other 2 exams (640 & 642) I thought it would be not that difficult.

It is a totally new way of thinking with this exam in regards to technical versus planning.

Any tips you can give me would be great since you have passed. I also PM'ed you as well. :D
    VCAP-DCA, VCP 55
  • Options
    Jander1023Jander1023 Member Posts: 160
    Yeah I knew 6 days was going to be tough and after getting through the other 2 exams (640 & 642) I thought it would be not that difficult.

It is a totally new way of thinking with this exam in regards to technical versus planning.

Any tips you can give me would be great since you have passed. I also PM'ed you as well. :D

Did you use any practice test questions? Self-test and Measure Up have worked well for me on my other exams.
  • Options
    Jander1023 wrote: »
    Did you use any practice test questions? Self-test and Measure Up have worked well for me on my other exams.

Yeah we were given Transcender to use for the boot camp which had a test for each of the 3 exams.

I have the Transcenders still and will also be installing the ones from the CD in the SA kit from MS. Those are MeasureUp and I will use both.

I have got the study guide from Self Test for 646 to use in conjunction with the MS Press book. Maybe having 2 sources will be better and also the study guide is more concise on the topics where as the MS Press book has allot of fluff I find.icon_wink.gif
    VCAP-DCA, VCP 55
  • Options
    Well booked for November 4th at 9am for my retake since I received the voucher from Global Knowledge yesterday.

Time to review, review, review to knock it out. icon_lol.gif
    VCAP-DCA, VCP 55
  • Options
    Ah yes the second time is a charm for 646. Passed it with a 737 score but that is fine with me. icon_cool.gif

Now on to the 643/647 for my EA. Already done the 680 which was before the SA....icon_lol.gif

Any recommended reading for the 643/647 other than the usual MS Press? Want to get the materials before starting to study this time. icon_cheers.gif
    VCAP-DCA, VCP 55
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well I only used MS press for 70-643 and I think it was enough I also read chapters of Windows 2008 R2 Unleached book

I'm currently studying for 7-647 using both Sybex and MS book in addition to the unleached book as well.

Congratulations on your last pass and for the Cert.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    For the 643 I highly recommend the Labsim as it is more thorough than the MS Press book. Supplement that with the Unleashed book and you would be good.
    If I had done the Labsim earlier I wouldn't be retaking the 70-643 now.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips. Time to look at LabSim. :D
    VCAP-DCA, VCP 55
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am curious... are you going to do 70-285 and get your MCSE/MCSE: Messaging? Seems like a miss. Also, was there a reason you did go for the upgrade exam as opposed to the individual route? They give you a voucher, but you can probably use it for any exam that you want.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    powerfool wrote: »
    I am curious... are you going to do 70-285 and get your MCSE/MCSE: Messaging? Seems like a miss. Also, was there a reason you did go for the upgrade exam as opposed to the individual route? They give you a voucher, but you can probably use it for any exam that you want.

I am only an MCSA: Messaging on 2003 as I don't have the extra 294/297 for MCSE.

I am going to move on to Exchange 2010 anyway as it is going to be the better solution eventually.

I took the individual exams due to the boot camp I attended and also because I wanted to learn more by taking each one separately. :D
    VCAP-DCA, VCP 55
  • Options
    Congrats on the pass!!! I've been thinking about trying to get work to pay for a bootcamp for MCITP:SA, myself. I've looked a good bit at the one from American Interactive...haven't seen much about it here however. I take it your bootcamp experience was a good one?
  • Options
    Geetar28 wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass!!! I've been thinking about trying to get work to pay for a bootcamp for MCITP:SA, myself. I've looked a good bit at the one from American Interactive...haven't seen much about it here however. I take it your bootcamp experience was a good one?

Yeah it was really good and got my butt in gear. icon_lol.gif

It was great though to pass 2 of 3 exams in 6 days then this one now. So in 3 weeks I got the MCITP:SA.

Look in to Global Knowledge as I know they have this boot camp in the US too.
    VCAP-DCA, VCP 55