Options

MS in Info Sec?

drk1980drk1980 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,

I was trying to find the top online MS programs in Information systems available. I was able to find 2 good ones - SANS and Boston University,

Is there any other MS degree courses that you know about.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I do not believe SANS is regionally accredited.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    University of Maryland University College
    - UMUC
    - NSA National Center of Excellence in Information Assurance
    - MS in Cybersecurity
    - MS in Cybersecurity Policy
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    powerfool wrote: »
    University of Maryland University College
    - UMUC
    - NSA National Center of Excellence in Information Assurance
    - MS in Cybersecurity
    - MS in Cybersecurity Policy

You from Maryland too? :P

I was thinking the same thing. You can also combine the Cybersecurity masters with a MBA or add on a certificate for Info Assurance.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm looking at WGU since a lot of people here are in the BS program and have good things to say. I don't think its a top, but I don't think I'll be able to commit to being a normal student anymore, so that doesn't leave many options.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    The big thing with WGU is matching the courses you will be taking to other top MS InfoSec colleges out there. The classes line up very well with classes on the NSA/CAE list. Since WGU has put in a request to become an NSA/CAE and they have not been selected as one yet you have to make the decision if it is worth it vs the NSA. That being said they should be picked up next according to the requirements listed for CAE and when the letter was submitted.
    Degrees:
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You from Maryland too? :P

I was thinking the same thing. You can also combine the Cybersecurity masters with a MBA or add on a certificate for Info Assurance.

No, I am from Indiana, but my company is based out of Metro DC and they have a partnership with UMUC for an exclusive graduate certificate that is the first two courses from the MS in Cybersecurity/Cybersecurity Policy... I will be completing the MS... just not sure which of the two I will do.

EDIT: I guess it is no longer exclusive to my company... but it isn't available to anyone else until next semester.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    Great post I had the same question.

My largest concern is I really want a school that adds value/teaches me something (crazy right?)

I finish my B.S. in Information Systems/Business Administration this sem. and I can't say I learned anything technical besides programming....which is one of the only technical aspects I have NO interest >< This was largely my fault for not digging into the program deep enough to unearth it being very "programming" centric.

UMUC M.S. in CyberSecurity - my uncle went there for M.S. in Tech Management (10 years ago....) and said it was a lot of writing and didn't teach him much of value, but mind you 10years ago and a different program.

I am considering UMUC I certainly like how you can work towards another M.S. / Certificate for some more credits
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • Options
    WilliamK99WilliamK99 Member Posts: 278
    I am currently enrolled in UMUC for the Bachelors in Cybersecurity and I have to say, thus far it is a very solid program. I am sure the M.S. would be even better and more in depth. I highly recomend UMUC for anyone thinking about getting a degree.
  • Options
    ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    WilliamK99 wrote: »
    I am currently enrolled in UMUC for the Bachelors in Cybersecurity and I have to say, thus far it is a very solid program. I am sure the M.S. would be even better and more in depth. I highly recomend UMUC for anyone thinking about getting a degree.

Good to know! I am on the fence about where to go, and I am certainly considering UMUC's M.S. in CyberSecurity.
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • Options
    katakatakkatakatak Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i just got accepted in FIU's MS in IT program. I spoke to the Dean, and he said that even though they currently have just System Admin and Software Design, they plan on including an Information Security track in about a year. I don't know how much I trust this, but I plan on going ahead and taking one of the core classes, and hopefully they will include the program.

Georgia Tech has a really nice program that just started it online. I plan on trying to apply, since it looks like a better choice for me, but its pretty pricey.
  • Options
    ibcritn wrote: »
    Good to know! I am on the fence about where to go, and I am certainly considering UMUC's M.S. in CyberSecurity.

I was too but I decided I'm going to jump in and start in 2012.
  • Options
    lanrexng2lanrexng2 Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am a bit weary about online degrees but UMUC seems to be winning the hearts and minds of NSA and local companies around the metro.

While you probably won't be hired by Google or Booz Allen Hamilton (I hope I am wrong icon_confused.gif:) you will get hired somewhere. Good luck in your pursuit of higher education icon_thumright.gif

Hopkins' IA program for me thank God work will be paying for it icon_cheers.gif
    M Sc Computer Science == 1% completeA+, Network+, Security+, CCENT == 100% complete
    ICND2, RHCSA, C/C++, Python, x86,
  • Options
    SonofRageSonofRage Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    lanrexng2 wrote: »
    I am a bit weary about online degrees but UMUC seems to be winning the hearts and minds of NSA and local companies around the metro.

While you probably won't be hired by Google or Booz Allen Hamilton (I hope I am wrong icon_confused.gif:) you will get hired somewhere. Good luck in your pursuit of higher education icon_thumright.gif

Sorry to bump an old thread but, for what it's worth, I'm currently a student at UMUC in the Master of Science in IT: Information Assurance program and I happen to work at Google (and they are paying for the degree).
  • Options
    SonofRage wrote: »
    Sorry to bump an old thread but, for what it's worth, I'm currently a student at UMUC in the Master of Science in IT: Information Assurance program and I happen to work at Google (and they are paying for the degree).

How are you liking the material so far?
  • Options
    SonofRageSonofRage Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How are you liking the material so far?

I've been really enjoying the material in the security-related classes. The "core" classes I've found less interesting, but there's for sure some value in learning it. I think overall it's really given me a good high level understanding of different security concepts and that's benefited me when I learn the more technical-focused security stuff.
  • Options
    Jay131Jay131 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    lanrexng2 wrote: »

Hi lanexgn2 -- congrats on your certs and progress. I was curious to hear more about what you've seen. I am seriously considering embarking on the UMUC cyber security path and then adding a few basic certs after graduating. How in the world does someone gauge their odds of getting a job, that is, one with with good pay and a real future? I just left a career in chemistry because of the low-pay, I'd need a PhD to get anything out of that area so in the end it won't be for me. I spend years learning about chemistry and I don't want to have this happen again. But since I'm doing a complete career change, I've got to pick something that I've got a true shot at making it into. I'm very analytical and I love problem solving, I know can get the skills -- I just have to know that the job market is real. I know that its no walk in the park, but this area is IT, which is the best job market next to healthcare. I figure that getting skills in the area that corresponds to the best job market is the most rational decision.

I've heard a lot about the security niche, that is a good place to be now and especially if the economy ever picks up -- can someone help confirm this? Are all these UMUC and WGU grads in IA and cyber sec getting good IT jobs or at least entry level jobs that are getting them the skills?
  • Options
    idr0pidr0p Member Posts: 104
    I am actually in the BU Masters Program and I have taken many SANs courses so if you have any questions feel free to ping me.
  • Options
    idr0p wrote: »
    I am actually in the BU Masters Program and I have taken many SANs courses so if you have any questions feel free to ping me.

I am in the M.S. program at WGU which will I graduate from in August and I have been thoroughly impressed. I have heard nothing but good things about the program at UMUC as well. There is no reason why Booz Allen or Google would not higher you because of these degrees. What I can say is that if all you have for major accomplishments are a few certs and these degrees I seriously doubt you would get picked up for a mid to high-level security job anyway.
    Degrees:
  • Options
    idr0pidr0p Member Posts: 104
    it really depends on what you want to do. If you are looking into pentesting or IR which is my field.. you need to have some Security Exp. but if you are wanted to start out as a analyst you should be fine. Remember it was only a handful of years ago where you couldn't get into InfoSec without being a IT guy first. So now you can go straight into info sec but some of the more popular fields have barriers.
  • Options
    ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    While it's not Booze, but I work for GDIT (a business unit of General Dynamics) and they're paying for my MSISA at WGU. A co-worker is with BAE and they're paying for her BS at WGU... so I'd say WGU shouldn't cause you to not be able to get a job at a good/big company.
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think even with a Masters they are still going to expect some IT experience.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    SponxSponx Member Posts: 161
    I have heard good things about SANS...
    Personal Website | LinkedIn Account | Spiceworks Account | Field Services Engineer

Certifications (Held): A+, CWP, Dell Certified
    Certifications (Studying):
    Network+, Security+
    Certifications (In Planning): Server+,
    ICND1 (CCENT), ICND2 (CCNA)
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    TE members interested in SANS training and GIAC certification should start by reading our SANS discussion forum FAQ: http://www.techexams.net/forums/sans-institute-giac-certifications/68030-welcome-techexams-net-sans-giac-certifications-forum.html

Note that SANS for security training and the
    SANS Technology Institute (STI) for degreed InfoSec programs are two separate organizations.
  • Options
    amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It is worth looking into the Master of Science in Information Security from NOVA Southeastern University. It is recognize by the NSA as a center of academic excellence.

Western Governors University is also a good choice.
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    That NSU degree looks very interesting, but it is also very technical. It's more for the engineering-minded, and not really the InfoSec degree for someone who is interested in the more physical, operational, and business side of InfoSec.