Options

Limit Internet Upload/Download Speed

mstew6579mstew6579 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have a few subtenants that will share an Internet connection. I need the ability to limit the Internet bandwidth (up and down) for each tenant. Does anyone have any recommendations for a switch that will let me do this on a per-vlan basis. Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Options
    motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    Netgear switches have a monitoring bandwidth/choke utility, I am not sure of the exact model, I can check tonight when I get home. You may be able to look at a vendors website and look at a models specific capabilities. I don't use it on my personal setup, but have looked at the settings/utility via the IE settings page. Are you looking at a large scale device or just one you can pick up at Walmart/Bestbuy?
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I tried to do this on my home network (didn't want my parents and brother stealing all of my badwidth) but couldn't find a way to do it with what I had and gave up.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    motogpman wrote: »
    Netgear switches have a monitoring bandwidth/choke utility, I am not sure of the exact model, I can check tonight when I get home. You may be able to look at a vendors website and look at a models specific capabilities. I don't use it on my personal setup, but have looked at the settings/utility via the IE settings page. Are you looking at a large scale device or just one you can pick up at Walmart/Bestbuy?

I was looking for a business/enterprise class device like Cisco or HP, but doesn't necessarily have to be those 2.
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    This is something you are likely to be able to find on the firewall. What brand do you have or want to get?
  • Options
    We use watchguard Firewalls, but the bandwidth management on these boxes is lacking.
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    Thats putting in nicely, I would say "sucks hardcore". We have an XTM 505 which is a great box in every other respect.
  • Options
    We are using Cisco's here at work, I haven't had to get on them in awhile, I'll check and get back as soon as possible. I don't think they are cheap though, not sure what your budget is. If you want something that is more than a home user would use, you may want to post in the Cisco forums too.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

• Options
    OK, looks like the Netgear ( WNR2000v2 ) models have a "Traffic Meter", but it appears to monitor, block, record, and send warning based on the whole unit itself, not by ip/port or MAC.

Depending on how detailed you want, you could plossibly use 2 to split off the main router and set each subtennant on their own unit, which would run about $110 for two of this particular model. It would provide some kind of report if needed, for their request. Just an idea.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed: