Have to gripe...(WCF/SQL/Nightmare)

RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
We have this dang database of MAC addresses that have been assigned to us. My buddy, well call him John, created SOAP endpoints in SQL Server for the development team. The devs in New Zealand tried to add references and they aren't able to get it to work. Sometimes they are prompted for creds, sometimes it just times out. I fiddled with it for an afternoon and discovered that if I was on the datacenter's network I could add references to the SOAP endpoints without any issues. From my workstation's network I was only able to get it to work about 1 out of 20 times. We scrapped that project and I created a WCF web service. I left the IIS site set to anonymous access and on my PC added a service reference in Visual Studio. I made a simple app that tested the service. No dice. It took about 30 seconds for the service reference to download. When I attempted to invoke the commands they would time out. I only ever got one command to work once. And when it did it was fast. What is odd, though, is that the Silverlight site I created to manage the DB works fine. And Silverlight runs on the client!

When I took the same test app to the datacenter subnet it worked flawlessly and quickly every time. The network team swears there is nothing between the two networks that could be causing the issue, but I think there is a clear network issue here. Tomorrow I am going to do some Sharking on both sides and see what is going on. It just really frustrates me... icon_rolleyes.gif I literally spend a 3rd of my time figuring out why the stuff we build in the datacenter does not work as expected outside the datacenter's network. I think I will take my laptop in as well, as I have the ability to shutdown the firewall if I need to. If it works on my laptop, I know where I can start pointing fingers.

Comments