Options

2950 SI or EI?

odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
I'm shopping around for 2950 switches. I've read the post on here and everyone seems to recommend getting a couple of them and a 3550. However, I only ready "get a couple 2950's" Any opinions on what versions is the best? Does EI make a big differance? Can you upgrade a SI to EI? Does it make a big deal not having fiber or Gig Ethernet ports?

I want to build this lab were I can continue to use it for CCNP, so I don't mind spending a few extra dollars if it means I don't have to buy more down the road.

Thanks!

Jay
Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action

Comments

• Options
    wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would recommend the EI as it will be more useful for further certifications. The 2950s can not be upgraded from SI to EI. The differences won't be real useful till the ccnp though. Here is a link that shows the differences and what 2950s are EI and SI.

Catalyst 2950 Series Software Feature Comparison--SI and EI [Cisco Catalyst 2950 Series Switches] - Cisco Systems
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    You can't upgrade from SI to EI as it is a difference in hardware IDs and interfaces. As for the actual difference between SI and EI, from what people have said the difference is minimal now. Cisco have added a lot of the EI only features to SI now. YMMV.
  • Options
    wastedtime wrote: »
    I would recommend the EI as it will be more useful for further certifications. The 2950s can not be upgraded from SI to EI. The differences won't be real useful till the ccnp though. Here is a link that shows the differences and what 2950s are EI and SI.

Catalyst 2950 Series Software Feature Comparison--SI and EI [Cisco Catalyst 2950 Series Switches] - Cisco Systems

Ok thanks. I guess I will keep my eye out for 2950C and 2950T which have the EI image.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    agreed with what the others have said. the price difference between the SI and EI is minimal so do yourself a favor and get the EI.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    agreed with what the others have said. the price difference between the SI and EI is minimal so do yourself a favor and get the EI.

I was given a 3548 switch from work. Is this about the same as a 2900 switch? Is it worth having it in my lab? I'm looking at getting a 3550 and 2x 2950's.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I was given a 3548 switch from work. Is this about the same as a 2900 switch? Is it worth having it in my lab? I'm looking at getting a 3550 and 2x 2950's.

Yes, a 3500XL is identical to a 2900XL as far as IOS goes. It has better hardware inside, but that doesn't really mean much for a study lab.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Be aware that a 3500XL isn't the same thing as a 3550. The XL suffix on the 2900s and 3500s mean that they're an older model which predates the already old 2950 and 3550.
  • Options
    alan2308 wrote: »
    Yes, a 3500XL is identical to a 2900XL as far as IOS goes. It has better hardware inside, but that doesn't really mean much for a study lab.

Ok thanks. I figured that was the case. I'l jsut put it on the stack of old hardware to sell.