2505 Router?

GawdGawd Member Posts: 132
Hey,

Theres a local company here selling Used Cisco 2505 Routers for $119 (Would go for less on Ebay, But I dont want to deal with setting up an account), Im wondering if this would be a good router for a testlab for my CCNA Exam.
And if $119 is a good price.. thats in Canadian Funds by the way.

Thanks,

Gawd

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    That's the one with the 8-port hub, right? If the IOS version (i.e. 12+) and the amount of memory is ok (i.e. 8flash/8dram)... 119 Canadian dollars, how much is that in USD?
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I belive it's roughly $95.75 USD

We do conversions at where I work a lot and this is what my conversion calculator shows. :D
  • GawdGawd Member Posts: 132
    Not sure what the IOS version is.
    Yea, its the one with the 8 port Hub.
    Im really want to get it, but I want to make sure its not going to be too outdated as to not help me with my exam.

Thanks,

Gawd
  • williamwbishopwilliamwbishop Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well, don't worry about it being too outdated, my lab is all 2500 series, and 1900 series switches. It's fine for the exam, maybe for most of the ccnp as well. And cheap. Well, your's is a little pricey, that's half of what I paid for a 5 router, 1 switch and all included cables, transcievers and power cord setup.
    Really? where did u get a deal like that?
    Ebay I assume?
    I just dont trust ebay.

Gawd
  • JerzJerz Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Gawd wrote:
    I just dont trust ebay.

Really? Well, I haven't bought much only about eight transactions but I have to say that everyone that I dealt with was very prompt with delivery and great with communication.
  • tunerXtunerX Member Posts: 447 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have over 60 transactions of nothing but Cisco equipment. I haven't been ripped off yet. I usually look at feedback before making a purchase. There have been some occasional bad equipment recieved but the sellers have either given a full refund or an exact replacement. If I would not have used Ebay, I would have spent about 30K for everything I have. I have only spent about 13-14K.

Ebay is well worth the price.
    tunerX wrote:
    I have over 60 transactions of nothing but Cisco equipment. I haven't been ripped off yet. I usually look at feedback before making a purchase. There have been some occasional bad equipment recieved but the sellers have either given a full refund or an exact replacement. If I would not have used Ebay, I would have spent about 30K for everything I have. I have only spent about 13-14K.

I'm in the same boat. I've got a couple hundred feedbacks, I've left a couple hundred. I have an enterprise setup in my bedroom. Off of ebay, so far on my current configuration I have:

A dual processor 2gigahertz AMD server, running 2 gigs of memory, with gigabit intel ethernet, LSI fibre channel(2gigabit), a compaq fibre SAN, 5 cisco routers, a cisco enterprise switch- 1924, and a bay net backbone switch. I also have wireless attached to all of it. That's not counting the quad sparc and RS/6000 that's in a closet, all thousands of assorted cables, etc. So far I haven't gotten anything wrong except a dead port ona router, which he offered to replace, but since I had two other live interfaces, I didn't see the need. I look at the feedback, the product, and the price. I occasionally take a gamble, on a bit of kit that is not known good(the person doesn't know what it is) but I've always lucked out.

If you are careful, and make informed, intelligent decisions, Ebay will save you thousands. My whole cisco lab is under 200 dollars, and it works perfectly. My whole san lab cost me 90 bucks. My server ran me under 300 dollars, and that's a lot of server for a year or two ago. I guess it depends on if you want to work for it.
    Wow, Thats a nice setup you got there..
    So far for my test lab all I got is 2 600mhz PCs w/ 256MB ram each, and a 3Com Switch attached to a Netgear wireless router. icon_lol.gif

Gawd
    Gawd wrote:
    Wow, Thats a nice setup you got there..
    So far for my test lab all I got is 2 600mhz PCs w/ 256MB ram each, and a 3Com Switch attached to a Netgear wireless router. icon_lol.gif

Gawd

it's a start. Cruise the ebay, make sure you find sellers with more than 50 feedbacks, and a very high positive feedback rate(99% or better). Make sure the price isn't higher with shipping than what you could buy it locally for, and go through paypal, so the exchanges are quick. Never buy on impulse, find out about a particular bit of kit before you buy it, you wouldn't think it would make a difference, but two letters can make all the difference in the world, an instance would be a dec array, va vs. vw in the nomenclature makes twice the speed difference. one is also a bear to find a interface for. make sure you read the shipping information carefully, as some people will put a low price on an item and a ridiculous shipping quote. But don't get chintzy either, whether the item get's to you in good shape has a direct bearing on how careful he/she was in packaging and shipping it. Other things to avoid, if you see something that is less than what you want, but what you want is only 20% higher, then save yourself the unhappiness and just buy the better of the two. You can buy quad intel 500mhz servers all day long, but for 30 dollars more and a 10th of the shipping you can buy a 64 bit cpu and motherboard off of newegg. Old equipment is heavy, factor in shipping first before you compare. yes, there's definately geek value to that quad, but it will never run on par with the faster system. never assume that it's cheaper just because it's on ebay.

Just take care, look at items, and bid at the last possible minute after much careful researching. You should also view the newly listed buy it now's frequently. I bought that dually motherboard so cheap (75$) because someone put it up with a buy it now price well below what they had been selling for (around 150$ used, 300$ new). I bought it 13 minutes after he put it up, and it was more luck on my part and stupidity on his than anything. You always take a gamble, it's all in how much the risk is worth to you. For me it's valuable, as I support a lot of people on my income, and can't afford to really waste anything. It took 5 months to assemble that server, one good deal at a time.

patience and research are the key.
  • Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    tunerX wrote:

I agree...I have a rack with 14 routers and 3 switches...all of them from Ebay. You just have to know what you are looking at. I filtered through a lot of crap to find those.
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA