70-642 Study problem

rhauser44rhauser44 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
Greetings all,

I previously posted a question about building a lab for my MCITP:EA studies. Well my lab is built, I'm using a server with 2 Intel quad processors, 4 GB RAM, and 168 GB HD. This host is running a copy of Windows 2008 R2 eval. I've also loaded VMWare Server v2.02. I set up three virtual servers, Dcsrv1, Boston, and Binghamton.

I'm training from MS Press book "70-642 Configuring Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure". Already in Chapter two, I've hit a snag. Basically I can resolve by hostname using IPv4 or IPv6. I can ping these servers using IPv4 or IPv6 IP address'. But I can't ping using the hostname, nor can I connect using the IPv4 or IPv6 UNC's.

File sharing is enabled as is Network Discovery and NetBIOS. This should be a no-brainer, especially from a NetBIOS perspective. Any ideas? icon_confused.gif:

Thanks,

Bob icon_study.gif

Comments

• rhauser44rhauser44 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I decided before I whacked my VMWare Virtual Server platform for Hyper-V, I'd give it one last try to solve my problem with NetBIOS name resolution. The solution was staring me in the face the whole time.

A rookie mistake that I'm even too embarassed to admit to on this forum.icon_redface.gif
  • Jander1023Jander1023 Member Posts: 160
    rhauser44 wrote: »
    I decided before I whacked my VMWare Virtual Server platform for Hyper-V, I'd give it one last try to solve my problem with NetBIOS name resolution. The solution was staring me in the face the whole time.

A rookie mistake that I'm even too embarassed to admit to on this forum.icon_redface.gif

You figured it out on your own. Kudos! Nothing embarrassing about that.