Options

'Damn you guys!' or 'I got a Console Server'

13»

Comments

• Options
    richandyrichandy Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info. I checked out your website. Great work. It gave me some insight on how to setup my lab rack.
    Keep up the great work.
  • Options
    Timber WolfTimber Wolf Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So i managed to score one of these new in box still amazingly for a low low price. I flashed the firmware since it wouldn't boot and got it up and running. However how do you actually connect to the console port. using direct, listen, and select all yield no results and i have made sure my cable is wired properly. I'm probably just doing something stupid however any help would be greatly appreciated.
    WGU BS IT - Security
    Need to complete: CSV1 BOV1 RIT1 BNC1 KET1 TPV1 MGC1 CJV1 KFT1 CNV1 SBT1 RGT1
    Completed: CUV1 CTV1
    Transferred: CVV1 DJV1 IWT1 IWC1 BVC1 QLT1 DHV1 HHT1 GAC1 DFV1 INT1 INC1 CPV1 AXV1 QBT1 LUT1 LAE1 CLC1 BBC1 AGC1 WFV1 CQV1 COV1
  • Options
    ZeroHunterZeroHunter Member Posts: 148
    So i managed to score one of these new in box still amazingly for a low low price. I flashed the firmware since it wouldn't boot and got it up and running. However how do you actually connect to the console port. using direct, listen, and select all yield no results and i have made sure my cable is wired properly. I'm probably just doing something stupid however any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am not sure what you are asking here, but look on my webpage

c0op3r.com under the Cisco tab and you will see the wiring diagram on how to make the cables to connect the unit to the Cisco equipment, if that's not the problem let me know and I will do my best to answer you questions.
    Z3r0

Skool: Herzing Univ for CCNA
    c0op3r.com
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ZeroHunter wrote: »
    If someone can walk me through making an image of the card I will gladly do that and host the image off my site, I just don't have the skill set for that YET!

Also will an image retain the formatting?

Based on your screenshot above, just open a shell type:

dd if=/dev/sdc of=MyImage.img

where /dev/sdc is the device file representing the card. This will make an exact bit for bit copy of the entire card and save in the current directory. Here's some light reading on the topic. If it complains about permissions, type sudo dd if=...
  • Options
    alan2308 wrote: »
    Based on your screenshot above, just open a shell type:

dd if=/dev/sdc of=MyImage.img

where /dev/sdc is the device file representing the card. This will make an exact bit for bit copy of the entire card and save in the current directory. Here's some light reading on the topic. If it complains about permissions, type sudo dd if=...

Yeah talked to a buddy that is a true linux expert, and I just have to take my Console Server back outta the rack and open it up and I will make the image.
    Z3r0

c0op3r.com
  • Options
    ConradJConradJ Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Impressive stuff, good job and nicely done!
  • Options
    So i guess what im asking is how you have your ports set up. I have the cable pinned as you posted it on your site however when i use the select, listen, or direct command i get nothing.

Also they already have image of the firmware on their website under firmware. Its the scs-4.4.6-elan.gz file. Its how i had to get my scs up and running.
    WGU BS IT - Security
    Transferred: CVV1 DJV1 IWT1 IWC1 BVC1 QLT1 DHV1 HHT1 GAC1 DFV1 INT1 INC1 CPV1 AXV1 QBT1 LUT1 LAE1 CLC1 BBC1 AGC1 WFV1 CQV1 COV1
  • Options
    So i guess what im asking is how you have your ports set up. I have the cable pinned as you posted it on your site however when i use the select, listen, or direct command i get nothing.

Also they already have image of the firmware on their website under firmware. Its the scs-4.4.6-elan.gz file. Its how i had to get my scs up and running.

Timber

Lets see if this answers your question; Log into the Lantronix via the web browser, choose Device Ports, then Port Paramemters, you should see a screen like what is below, setup each port like that.

Port%20Configuation%20lantronix.JPG

Make sure that you have the DCE/DTE set to DTE if you are using my cable configuration. If that does not answer it, LMK and I will see what I can figure out for you. Can you Telnet or SSH into the devices, via the Lantronix?
    Z3r0

c0op3r.com
  • Options
    Ok that fixed it thanks so much for the help.
    WGU BS IT - Security
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I reloaded the flash card. Brought up the box and worked awesome while I had it my office. I took it home, powered it on... Now it doesn't seem to keep the IP address that I assign to it. Should I reimage the flash?
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    Anyone?
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    I am on a plane headed home from New York will look into this as soon as I get back for you. But it should of saved the configuration in the configuration file.
    Z3r0

c0op3r.com
  • Options
    ZeroHunter wrote: »
    it should of saved the configuration in the configuration file.
    I got it to stick with it's IP. I found the config file, opened it up and input the IP.

I'll need to make myself a simple crossover cable to connect it directly to my PC, or maybe I'll connect it up to my home router.

I'm trying to terminal into it right now, for some reason I am unable to do so.... I have only ever been able to do this once (when i first reimaged the flash card). I have tried to use putty from windows and ubuntu, I get nothing back.

EDIT: I just connected it to my home router, configured the IP and used to Telnet to reach it. Got it now.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    I decided to boot it up again last night and figure out why I couldn't reach it via a browser. Turns out that my browser wouldn't support ssl2 until I configured it... So it's finally up and running. Now just to stop being stupid and figure out the pin outs.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    Yes I forgot about that, one of the other guys, add the SSL3 to his unit, but i do not know Linux well enough to do that, I just set the exception in FireFox, and then put a Favorites in my Bookmarks for the scs1620.
    Z3r0

c0op3r.com
  • Options
    I'm getting better at linux, but not enough to do that. Still in the learning stages really. I would like to learn more, but I really don't have the time.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    How do I assign the IP's to each device on my lantronix? I read through the user manual, enabled all the ports, I also went through on the web part of the lantronix and enabled the correct connection settings.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    Crap! Been a while since I set mine up, after setting it up I put all the device/IPs into PuTTY with their information and saved it. I have not changed it since then.

I will have to look through my notes and see what I had to do, but for some reason I think it was done through the GUI/Web interface.
    Z3r0

c0op3r.com
  • Options
    That's what I thought, too. But I can't seem to find anywhere to assign the IP's to the device ports. Perhaps you wouldn't mind looking through the GUI on yours? I think I might be having a blonde moment since my football team lost today /facepalm.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    woot! I got it working. Just had to go in and modify a couple of files on the flash card. Now I can start making more cables!
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    omagicoomagico Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ====Mine was kinda a mess, so I had to build the Console Cable so that I could see what was going on, when it boot, it had OLD firmware and a password I could not get out, so the Server got a re-flash.====

How did you build that console cable and how do you re-flash. I'm really new but I'd love to get this puppy working
  • Options
    jarrod843jarrod843 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I bought one of theses on eBay. It seems to work well but someone changed the default password and I can't login to it. How can I fix this if I can't console in. Is there a way to reset the unit to factory?
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    bcall64 wrote: »
    My issue with that resolution is I pretty much am limited to 443 and 80 at work.

This is way beyond the CCENT level, but if you ever get into the Security track, you can use an SSL VPN. Because it uses TCP 443 it has no issues getting through most firewalls.

[EDIT] Just noticed the topic is from 5 years ago.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]