Options

Powering Cisco 6509 at home?

wolverene13wolverene13 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
Ok, so I was looking around on eBay for a Cisco 2691 or a 3640 so I could have some gear that was MPLS-capable to lab out MPLS configs for the CCIP MPLS test. I came across a Cisco 6509 for sale. Bidding started at $99. I didn't think I was going to win it at all and figured someone would outbid me, but I bid anyway and set my max bid to $200. Lo and behold, about 5 days later, I get an e-mail that says I won the damn thing for $99!! $120 worth of shipping later, the freight company drops the 6509 off. It was in good condition, but had no power cord. Then it dawned on me...how the hell am I supposed to hook this thing up? It's AC powered, so that's not a problem, but it's got 20 amp, 1800W, 240V power supplies. The connector is an IEC 60320 C19. Can I hook this thing up to the dryer outlet (NEMA 10)? If so, how? Is there a way to hook 240v/20A up to a regular 120v/15A outlet with a transformer or something? I am hardly an electrician, so I am looking for the simplest way to do this by just buying adapters, etc.
Currently Studying: CCIP - 642-611 - MPLS
CCIP Progress: [x] BSCI
[x] BGP
[ ] MPLS
[ ] QoS

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Lo and behold, about 5 days later, I get an e-mail that says I won the damn thing for $99!! $120 worth of shipping later, the freight company drops the 6509 off.
    The chassis is the "cheap" part. The pricey parts are the line cards and the sups. What you got in it?
    Can I hook this thing up to the dryer outlet (NEMA 10)? If so, how?
    Sounds like an insurance risk :P No idea anyway as I'm not in the US so have no idea what the dryer outlet can do.
    Is there a way to hook 240v/20A up to a regular 120v/15A outlet with a transformer or something? I am hardly an electrician, so I am looking for the simplest way to do this by just buying adapters, etc.
    No. That is just going to end up as a fire hazard because you'll overload the circuit.
  • Options
    wolverene13wolverene13 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    The chassis is the "cheap" part. The pricey parts are the line cards and the sups. What you got in it?

2 x WS-X6K-SUP1A-2GE Supervisor cards
    6 x WS-X6248-RJ-45 48-Port Fast-E Modules
    2 x 1800w power supplies
    1 x Fan tray
    Sounds like an insurance risk :P No idea anyway as I'm not in the US so have no idea what the dryer outlet can do.

Lol, that's another issue...I rent this place so I can't just go getting high-voltage outlets installed. Even if I could, I wouldn't want to spend that kind of money on a place I don't own. But regardless, clothes dryer outlets in the U.S. use 240v outlets. I was thinking if I could get a cord that fit the C19 end to the switch that had a plug to fit the 240v for the dryer, I'd be able to hook it up, provided my wife isn't doing laundry, lol.
    No. That is just going to end up as a fire hazard because you'll overload the circuit.

I figured that...damn.
    Currently Studying: CCIP - 642-611 - MPLS
    CCIP Progress: [x] BSCI
    [x] BGP
    [ ] MPLS
    [ ] QoS
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Do you have somewhere else that you could put it? I have been thinking about setting up a lab that is lab accessible and renting time on it... maybe you could do that. If it ends up being a decent lab setup, others might be interested in renting lab time for the same exam. Maybe you could rent a storage unit with climate control and run it there... and then get a cheap naked dsl for $15/mo.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What power supplies do you have?

For the 1300 Watt power supplies:
    Catalyst 6500 Series Switch Installation Guide - Power Supply Specifications [Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Switches] - Cisco Systems
    Each chassis power supply should have its own dedicated, fused-branch circuit:
    blank.gifFor North America—15 A or 20 A

With what you have to power, you should be able to run just one of the little 1300 watt power supplies. You can get power cords from Cables & Kits.

Catalyst 6500 Series Switch Installation Guide - Power and Heat Numbers [Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Switches] - Cisco Systems
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!