cisco router password

JASON123JASON123 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have been looking at the techlabs and am at the part in hyperterminal where it says "press return to get started" but it asks for a password three times and when I type something in or nothing it doesn't say it is wrong but it asks for it three times. Then it says setup con0 is now available, Press return to get started. When I do press return it asks me for the password over again. It just goes round an round. Does this mean that there is already a preconfigured password? I got the router used off of ebay. Also, when I try typing Router> show version and the other commands it says that "router', is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks

Comments

• Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    My bad....I didn't read your post correctly, I thought you were referring to the online sim.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ok, u using netscape or IE?
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • JASON123JASON123 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ok, I feel bad because now I am confused. How does java or whether I use IE or Netscape affect my ability to type in router commands in command prompt or get my cisco router, through hyperterminal, to stop only asking me the user password? Obivously, I am more lost than I knew!!! But thats ok, I have plenty of time to study.

Oh, as far as viewing the website that is going fine. My problems are setting up my cisco 2501 routers.
  • fuseboxfusebox Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    JASON123 wrote:
    I have been looking at the techlabs and am at the part in hyperterminal where it says "press return to get started" but it asks for a password three times and when I type something in or nothing it doesn't say it is wrong but it asks for it three times. Then it says setup con0 is now available, Press return to get started. When I do press return it asks me for the password over again. It just goes round an round. Does this mean that there is already a preconfigured password? I got the router used off of ebay. Also, when I try typing Router> show version and the other commands it says that "router', is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks

It seems that you indeed do have a preconfigured password on there.
    If you are using the Sybex/Lammle CCNA text goto chapter 9, pg397 onwards, it explains how to recover forgotten passwords.
    Im a newbie.... please be easy on me.
  • viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
    Ok, another question. It may sound silly. Does it make a difference which operating system you have to do the command prompt commands? The only reason I ask is because I tried the commands from the web page viper75 provide, thank you by the way, on two of the computers one running XP home edition and XP media center and neither one of them recognizes the commands. I am still waiting for my computer that runs XP professional. Although, I must say that my XP media center computer is acting weird. Recently, command prompt on the XP media center, does not recognize the "ipconfig" command anymore. Its really strange. Anyways, I'm sorry for bothering everyone with all of this. Thanks for all of your help.
    Download TeraTerm. It's I think the best program to work with for configuring Cisco equitment. You do not have to set any bits or flow control, just connect the router to the pc with a rollover cable. Select comport in teraterm and boot the router.

Download from here: icon_wink.gif

http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA002416/teraterm.html
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    Viper75, I was wondering if you know the answer to my command prompt problem. The webpage for the password recovery looks great but for some reason command prompt on my XP media center and home edition does not seem to recognize any of the router commands. So, I am currently not able to reset the password. Do I need XP professional to setup the router? I wouldn't think so, but the fact that I am not able to set it up on either computer makes me wonder. Once again, I know I said it many times, but thank you everyone for your help and most importantly your patience.

Ok, I just got somewhere, I think. I typed in cisco and now it says->
    setup>
    I haven't gotten that far in my ccna reading to know exactly what to do next and I don't want to screw myself over. Does anyone know what to do next?
    JASON123 wrote:
    Viper75, I was wondering if you know the answer to my command prompt problem. The webpage for the password recovery looks great but for some reason command prompt on my XP media center and home edition does not seem to recognize any of the router commands. So, I am currently not able to reset the password. Do I need XP professional to setup the router? I wouldn't think so, but the fact that I am not able to set it up on either computer makes me wonder. Once again, I know I said it many times, but thank you everyone for your help and most importantly your patience.

I have seen that problem before. For whatever reason the command prompt does not work right when trying to config. a Cisco device. The problem that the correct data flow is not going back and forth between the router and your PC's comport. Do you have a rollover cable? Is the serial part of the cable damaged? It might not have the correct cable pinout.

I say to try using TeraTerm as your configuration tool for your router. I'm pretty sure you will not have a problem with that. Don't use command prompt. If that doesn't work then it's probably safe to say that you might have a hardware issue.
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    JASON123 wrote:

setup>
    I haven't gotten that far in my ccna reading to know exactly what to do next and I don't want to screw myself over. Does anyone know what to do next?

Type this:

setup>en

Are you sure it says "setup>" is there a "#" anywhere?[/b]
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    JASON123 wrote:

setup>

Type this:

setup>en

Are you sure it says "setup>"??? Is there a "#" anywhere?
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    Yep, it just says setup>
    When I type en on setup> it then says password but whatever I write in there, after three attempts of the password, it says %bad secrets
    Does that mean there is another password I have to know or is it something different? Btw, Tera Term works great for my other cisco router. Thanks for the link.
    You have to perform a password recovery. Check the link out I posted for the 2500 routers. Try using teraterm when doing the password recovery steps.
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    For some reason everytime I try those commands it says % invalid input detected at the '^' marker.
  • netheadnethead Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Can you paste a log of the teraterm session when you are doing this, so that we can see what is going wrong? This will make it easiest for people to see exactly what's wrong.
    "The time for talking is over. Now call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit it hard, and we hit it fast, with a major, and I mean major, leaflet campaign. "
    - Rimmer, Polymorph
    nethead wrote:
    Can you paste a log of the teraterm session when you are doing this, so that we can see what is going wrong? This will make it easiest for people to see exactly what's wrong.

Yes, I agree. icon_wink.gif
    CCNP Security - DONE!
  • DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    If it's a 2500 router, reboot it. As soon as you see the memory listed, hit Ctrl-Break on your term program

then type

o/r 0x2142

then reboot it again

That'll set the config-register to 2142 which bypasses the startup config.
    Then type en to get into priv exec mode, then type erase start (if that doesn't work, do write erase), then type config t, then type config-reg 0x2102, that'll reset the config-register to read the startup config.

That should get the router in a state you can work with.
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
    I'm sorry it took me soooo long to get back, its been a long day. Anyways here is a copy and paste of my router. As long as I type "cisco" it gives me the setup> prompt. Any other password it tells me after three tries that it is a bad secrets.

System Bootstrap, Version 11.0(10c), SOFTWARE
    Copyright (c) 1986-1996 by cisco Systems
    2500 processor with 2048 Kbytes of main memory

%SYS-4-CONFIG_NEWER: Configurations from version 12.0 may not be correctly under
    stood.
    F3: 6673908+88076+450764 at 0x3000060

Restricted Rights Legend

Use, duplication, or disclosure by the Government is
    subject to restrictions as set forth in subparagraph
    (c) of the Commercial Computer Software - Restricted
    Rights clause at FAR sec. 52.227-19 and subparagraph
    (c) (1) (ii) of the Rights in Technical Data and Computer
    Software clause at DFARS sec. 252.227-7013.

cisco Systems, Inc.
    170 West Tasman Drive
    San Jose, California 95134-1706

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
    IOS (tm) 2500 Software (C2500-D-L), Version 12.0(3), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    Copyright (c) 1986-1999 by cisco Systems, Inc.
    Compiled Mon 08-Feb-99 17:45 by phanguye
    Image text-base: 0x03037940, data-base: 0x00001000

cisco 2500 (68030) processor (revision N) with 2048K/2048K bytes of memory.
    Processor board ID 19493959, with hardware revision 00000000
    Bridging software.
    X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.
    1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
    2 Serial network interface(s)
    32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
    8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read ONLY)

Press RETURN to get started!

00:00:27: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Ethernet0, changed state to up
    00:00:27: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Serial0, changed state to down
    00:00:27: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Serial1, changed state to down
    00:00:28: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Ethernet0, changed sta
    te to down
    00:00:28: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial0, changed state
    to down
    00:00:28: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial1, changed state
    to down
    00:00:30: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interfac

User Access Verification

Password: e Ethernet0, changed state to administratively down
    00:00:33: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from memory by console
    00:00:33: %SYS-5-RESTART: System restarted --
    Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
    IOS (tm) 2500 Software (C2500-D-L), Version 12.0(3), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    Copyright (c) 1986-1999 by cisco Systems, Inc.
    Compiled Mon 08-Feb-99 17:45 by phanguye
    00:00:33: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Serial0, changed state to administratively
    down
    User Access Verification

Password:
    setup>en
    Password:
    Password:
    Password:
    % Bad secrets

setup>

My other router looks like this:

Routne protocol on Interface Serial1, changed state to downer>
    Router>show running-config
    ^
    % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

Router>en
    Password:
    Password:
    Password:
    % Bad secrets

Router>
  • DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542

Reboot the router, and as soon as you see that, hit Ctrl-Break to get to rommon, then follow my instructions above.
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
    Thanks DrakonBlayde, it worked great for my one router. I'm not sure what is happening with the other router. This is what happened.

%SYS-4-CONFIG_NEWER: Configurations from version 12.0 may not be correctly under
    stood.
    Abort at 0x10F81C6 (PC)
    >o/r 0x2142
    >en
    4: 4AFC4AFC
    Type Q to quit, RETURN for next location, BACKSPACE for previous location
    8: 4AFC4AFC
    C: 4AFC4AFC
    10: 4AFC4AFC
    14: 4AFC4AFC
    18: 4AFC4AFC
    1C: 4AFC4AFC
    20: 4AFC4AFC
    24: 4AFC4AFC
    28: 4AFC4AFC
    2C: 4AFC4AFC
    30: 4AFC4AFC
    34: 4AFC4AFC
    38: 4AFC4AFC
    3C: 4AFC4AFC
  • tunerXtunerX Member Posts: 447 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You appear to have done it wrong.

>o/r 0x2142
    >en

The output you got is what you would expect when you do what you did. The "e" lets you examine memory locations.

You should do "i", which will initialize the router.

>o/r 0x2142
    >i

After the router initializes as normal and skips the config. You can then do all of what DrakonBlayde suggested.
    Hey, I just wanted to say that it all worked!! I finally have both routers up and running. Thanks tunerx, DrakonBlyade and everyone else for all your help, I really appreciate it.
  • MSpnz6MSpnz6 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I ran into this problem, today for the first time, & upon a google search for the phrase "4AFC4AFC" found this site.

"Heavens to Betsy"...what a life-saver!!!

Suffice to say the instruction to enter " i " to initialized the router did the trick for me!!
    I am a pretty much a computer illiterate attempting to self-teach in obtaining the coveted "CCNA" certification.

Home lab: Routers....1 2509 a/s, 1 2610XM & 1 2611XM.....Switches....1 3350-4 & 2 2950's
    Study material....."Paul Browning's", "TheBryantAdvantage" plus CertificationsKits (above equipment) lab workbook & so forth.

Even though this thread originated several yrs ago....the advice is still relevant and works.(for anyone viewing this now).

Thanks a Million + 1,

MSpnz6