Options

Offsite backup advice needed.

PiotrIrPiotrIr Member Posts: 236
Hi,
Question for somebody who has experience whit similar solution. I would like to use Acronis to take backup of all server to one (the best as cheap as possible) SAN like Qnap or Netgear and than replicate it to remote site. So scenario is like that:

1.I take backup with size around 2TB to SAN placed in the same site where servers are
2.In the same time or later I will replicate it to another SAN placed on remote site using standard internet connection

I know that devices like that use rSync for remote replication and know how it works in theory but have no idea if it will work correctly with this size of files. Obviously I will take initial backup on site but wonder if it will work later. What will happen if disaster happens during replication so process will be broken? Any advice what model of device should I use? Maybe you can advice completely different solution or software? What bandwidth should I use (maybe some examples bandwidth/size/time?) Any known issues? How does it work in practice?

Comments

• Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Once you get your first image created, you can do incremental backup images if you used Acronis and I'm pretty sure most other imaging software would perform similar functions. Deduplication is another option that might save on the amount of data you have to backup, but I've found it to be somewhat resource intensive for the limited space it sames me - at least in my environment.

As far as bandwidth and so forth goes, how much would you guess your incremental backups would be in size? Do you already have a remote site you are going to keep the server at, what form of connection do you have there? If you don't have a remote site and are looking for somewhere to stick it, you're probably looking at leasing a dedicated server or more than likely the most economical solution given the size of storage you will demand would be to build/buy a server to store the backups and colocate it somewhere. If you did this, you could get incredibly reliable bandwidth that would carry a hefty price tag too or you could go with some lesser expensive bandwidth - something like Cogent comes to mind - and pay less. Just depends on how reliable you need this to be and what your budget is. If you're doing it over the Internet be it in your own site or leased space somewhere, setup a VPN and push the data through that.
  • Options
    PiotrIrPiotrIr Member Posts: 236
    Thank you for your reply,

Do you have similar solution on your network? What is your experience with this? I already have second site so it won’t be placed in datacenter. I also don’t know what will be incremental backup of my servers so this is a reason I’m looking for examples badwitch/size/time. I also know that Acronis has “dual backup” feature which takes backup first to local drive and second to remote side. Does anybody have experience with this?