Options

Is this your typical IT degree?

tom_dubtom_dub Member Posts: 59 ■■■■□□□□□□
I'm browsing various universities in my state to keep my options open for when I transfer. I know a lot about what is involved with typical IS/IT/CIS/MIS programs but this one caught my attention.

| Business Information Technology | Pamplin College of Business | Virginia Tech

I have never seen a program with the 2 tracks that it has. The website boasts that it is one of the top IT programs in the country. the course listings are here Decision Support Systems Courses | Business Information Technology | Pamplin College of Business | Virginia Tech

Was just wondering how decent this program was

Comments

• Options
    ComputadoraComputadora Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    tom_dub wrote: »
    I'm browsing various universities in my state to keep my options open for when I transfer. I know a lot about what is involved with typical IS/IT/CIS/MIS programs but this one caught my attention.

| Business Information Technology | Pamplin College of Business | Virginia Tech

I have never seen a program with the 2 tracks that it has. The website boasts that it is one of the top IT programs in the country. the course listings are here Decision Support Systems Courses | Business Information Technology | Pamplin College of Business | Virginia Tech

Was just wondering how decent this program was

If your looking for IT degrees in Virginia, I heard George Mason University has a really good BSIT program, also a good Masters in Information Assurance.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Not for nothing, but the fact that the program is from Virginia Tech means the degree is definitely above "decent."

Looking at the courses, I actually like it. IT degree that's focused on business (which EVERY IT person should have familiarity with anyway...lest they deal with the "business analyst").

(I'm from NJ, BTW, but I would most certainly respect a degree from VT.... :) Especially an IT degree with a business emphasis.)
  • Options
    tom_dubtom_dub Member Posts: 59 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If your looking for IT degrees in Virginia, I heard George Mason University has a really good BSIT program, also a good Masters in Information Assurance.

I'm on the business admin track right now in community college but have been thinking about switching to something more technical like CS that I'll take at ODU. Still unsure so I'm keeping my options open for the IT route. I know JMU has an ABET accredited CIS degree
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It is essentially an Information Systems degree, which is typically offered by business schools. I definitely think that it makes you a more well rounded employee. Further, most "tech" degrees are "programming" focused, so it is difficult to find a degree that supports anything besides that, specifically. This way, you get your degree, and then get some certs... unless you are a programmer, but this type of degree typically focuses on the SDLC and has programming electives, so you would be good with it, too.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Looks like an excellent program. My main advice is to look into entering a coop program or internship opportunities while going to school for some real world experience. With that program under your belt and if you maintain high grades you will do well.
    I don't really see many IT certifications that match up to your classes as someone previously mentioned getting some certs. You could probably get some entry level certs just to show you have some basic IT accumen. The Net+ would kind of line up with one of the courses and the Sec+ would be good to have in case you do go to work for a DOD contractor after school. To go with the Project management class you could probably get the CompTIA Project+ just to have an extra IT cert on your resume.
    You've chosen an excellent program. Good luck in your studies and good luck in your future.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.