Options

Netbook recommendation

neocybeneocybe Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi Folks,

I'm thinking about getting a refurb netbook, any recommendations? I have heard good things about the dell mini 10v and HP Mini. I've seen a few articles that suggest you can get mac os working on the dell hardware too; anyone try this?

Something about anything called an eeepc just screams junk IMO.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The 10.1" Acer Aspire One netbook is still running like a champ -- but I don't trust it as much since I've had issues with the 8.9" model. I've been able to bring back a "dead" 8.9" one with the BIOS reflash, but then it "died again" after it was out of warranty and the reflash fix didn't work. Acer doesn't admit the problem on their web site -- but there are a lot of forums with threads dedicated to the dead Acer netbook issue.

I'm actually considering one of the $169 "eeeeJunk" netbooks with 4 gig ssd to use as a host for the dead 8.9" Acer's hard drive. Right now I'd trust the Asus Netbooks more than the Acer ones after my Acer experience.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    I have had my Samsung N130 for the last year and it has been incredible. Not much I can't do (except watching flash movies online) but regular movies on my HDD run flawless with GOM Player. I also use it for consoling into my Cisco gear and remoting into my servers :)

Best $240 I ever spend :)
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Very happy with a 10.1 EeePC for a little over a year. I upgraded RAM to 2 gig and stuck a spare 16gig SD for confidential info. it has a 160gig hd current models have a 250. I get 6 hours on the battery if I don't let do its under clock thing and a good 9 with the SD out and letting it do its power save features. It has office 2007, visual studio, dreamweaver, and wamp onboard/ It gets heavy use.

I would buy another if needed at the price it is a no brainier. There is lots to complain about if you like to blame your tools like being away from my triple 26 inch monitors or relative small disk drive. I am from the era of Neanderthal arms from dragging 30 pound IBM and Compaq portables around the worlds airports so this is cake.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    neocybe wrote: »

May be something to that comment but mine has been running fine since I got it about 2 years ago. It was almost perfect for my requirements, ie a static HDD, as I use it for study on the bus to work everyday. The keyboard is way too small and it looks like a plastic toy but the price was right.
  • Options
    gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    I love my Asus Eee 1005HA-P. I also upgraded to 2gb ram and threw Windows 7 on it.

It's been very reliable and gets amazing battery life. My fiance has the Samsung n140 and thats a great netbook too.

In all honestly however, most will probably perform similiar as they all share very simliar components/specs.

Haven't ever messed with getting OS-X to work natively on a PC yet, but I have it working great in a VM.
    WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
    In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
    Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
    Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)

• Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    I've owned a dell and hp netbook. The dell felt like a flimsy piece of junk compared to the hp. Sorry I never tried OSX on mine. Just linux, which ran wonderfully.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I got my daughter an MSI and it works great for what she does with it but the battery life is the pits.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    earweed wrote: »
    I got my daughter an MSI and it works great for what she does with it but the battery life is the pits.

If I use the power saver settings I can get around 6 hours on my N130.
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    my little msi wind u 100 runs like a champ even works after a 2yo got to it

Just upgrade the ram and install something besides xp that it comes with
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Lenovo netbook. Upgraded it to 2 gbs of ram and reimaged it with 7 enterprise. Runs like a champ.
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    neocybe wrote: »
    I've seen a few articles that suggest you can get mac os working on the dell hardware too; anyone try this?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    There were couple of guys in Miami that were doing just that with Mac OS on their own hardware, got sued and lost. It would be quite a stretch to impale Mac OS on something like a netbook. Sometimes even the word "netbook" screams junk.
    Depending on what you want to use your netbook for, you might want to take a look at the newest Barnes and Noble book reader, it is full color, touchscreen and fully web capable at a price of $250 it might be a bargain over netbooks. Isn't available immediately but it might just do the thing for you if you aren't a laptop fan but you need something convenient to carry while mobile.
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm getting an ASUS soon they always get good reviews and they're cheap