Options

Promoted to different department

azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
After 3 months of waiting and 2 interviews (government position) I got a call last week and was offered the position as a LAN Administrator. Since I work for the county this is a promotion to a different department within the county. I had applied for this position twice in the past 3 years and didn't meet the qualifications. Mostly because of the 4 year degree and the VCP "AND" MCITP /EA requirements. I have to finish my MCITP /EA within 3 months. I'm going from a 14 man shop with 90 servers, 200 users and 1000 pc's to a 120 man shop with 530 servers, 14k users and pc's. Best part of all, I am walking into an upgrade project that has us upgrading the VM infrastructure to 4.1 from 3.5 and 4.0. Figured I would share the good news.
Currently Studying:
VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)

Comments

• Options
    Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congratulations! Sounds like your persistence has paid off. Sometimes when we hear people share the good news, we don't hear the backstory behind it. You've paid your dues, didn't give up, and it paid off. That's an encouragement to all of us, in my opinion.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif

So after you celebrate and get settled in -- what's your next career move? It's never too early to start planning. icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    That sounds like an awesome job. I would imagine the infrastructure for Maricopa would huge, but I didn't expect it to be quite as large as 530 servers.

Congratulations.
    The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the promotion!
    You're gonna have to do some serious work to get the EA in 3 months though.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    Congrats on the promotion!
    You're gonna have to do some serious work to get the EA in 3 months though.

I've been studying on and off for the last year. I'm hoping I can just commit 2 weeks of intensive study and get it knocked out. Doing pretty good on the practice tests so far, but want to brush up on some things before I put the money down to take it.
    forkvoid wrote:
    That sounds like an awesome job. I would imagine the infrastructure for Maricopa would huge, but I didn't expect it to be quite as large as 530 servers.

I was shocked when I heard that as well. I found out about 1/3 of them are virtual so that helps. The department I am in handles the IT infrastructure for several different departments in Maricopa County.
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)