Options

PowerCLI books

azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
Anybody know any good books on PowerCLI? I have an upgrade project coming up and would like to start practicing now.
Thanks,
Currently Studying:
VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)

Comments

• Options
    scott28ttscott28tt Member Posts: 686 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I've heard good things about this book by Hal Rottenberg:
    Managing VMware Infrastructure with Windows PowerShell

There's plenty of PowerCLI references/blogs around too, take a look at Alan Renouf's site:
    Virtu-Al - Virtually everything is Poshable
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com
  • Options
    I just bought the book. I'll let you know if it's any good after I have a chance to read it.

Amazon.com: Managing VMware Infrastructure with Windows PowerShell TFM (9780982131404)

Thanks for the recommendation. I came across this book but was on the fence whether or not to buy it. Apparently there is another book coming out sometime in March 2011.
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
  • Options
    After reading several chapters and actually applying changes in our sandbox environment using it I think it is a good read. The first script I tried was no small feat and took some time to figure out. But I think that is related to my lack of scripting knowledge. I was tasked with enabling Remote SSH for the root account on multiple hosts.

The first chapter introduces you to PowerShell if you are a complete novice. Chapters 2 and 3 dig a little more deeper into cmdlets and the objects you can reference in VMware. Chapters 4-7 take the subject of cmdlets and objects further and show you what to use and when. Lots of examples are listed in the book which helped me a lot. All in all a good book for getting in and working with it. Not a single source of knowledge since it was written for 4.0 and we are using 4.1. But that is what Google is for. I would recommend it.
    Currently Studying:
  • Options
    thulasi39thulasi39 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Scott28tt.

I bought this book, found very interesting. It makes my report work very easy :)
  • Options
    You may want to check out PowerGUI.org - Free Windows Powershell Community and add some of the PowerPacks for Virtualization. I have that PowerPack plus security, reporting, AD and PowerShell. In some instances I've modified the code in those scripts. That and it's free.
    Currently Studying:
  • Options
    thulasi39thulasi39 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    good. Looks like lot of resources to learn powershell.

But very less resource for powercli.
  • Options
    thulasi39 wrote: »
    good. Looks like lot of resources to learn powershell.

But very less resource for powercli.

So why did you buy the "Managing VMware Infrastructure with Windows PowerShell" book? It is a resource on how to use powershell to manage a VM environment. I found powergui to be a valuable tool for day to day management tasks as well as reporting. But to each their own.
    Currently Studying: