Options

Cisco SDM

MierdinMierdin Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm a relatively experienced networks guy finally breaking down and getting certified. The majority of my experience lies around command line configuration on cisco routers and switches.

I've been looking around for study topics, and I've been following what so far has been a FANTASTIC resource for getting the rust out in the month before my test (well, two weeks as of today):

31 Days Before Your CCNA

This book is GREAT, and would highly recommend it. However, in my further explorations on topics to touch on, I noticed a lot of talk about Cisco SDM (Security Device Manager). I haven't been able to find a straight answer, so I figured I'd ask it here.....is this a product I should be familiar with for the test? If so, any ideas for resources I can look at to become familiar with it?
"We gain complexity by linking together. To be isolated within a single platform is to be reduced. We see less. Understand less. It is quieter.” -Legion

Current Focus: CCIE R/S
Blog -- Keeping It Classless

Comments

• Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    Yeah you should be familiar with it. You can download the demo from here Software Download

You'll need to have registered for an account with Cisco.com. I've just downloaded the demo and I'm about to try it out...
  • Options
    Thanks for the link!

I imagine it does a lot more than the scope of the CCNA - any idea what network concepts I should be able to put into practice with SDM?
    "We gain complexity by linking together. To be isolated within a single platform is to be reduced. We see less. Understand less. It is quieter.” -Legion

• Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    I would say definitely know how to set up DHCP & DNS with SDM. It's probably a good idea to have a good general knowledge of what else you can do with it. On the composite or ICND2 you should know how to use SDM to set up NAT, ACL's, and basic router configuration.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There's a whole bunch of SDM tasks listed in the exam blueprint(s) for the CCNA.

Follow the link(s) from the Cisco CCNA Certification web page over to The Cisco Learning Network (and create a free account if you don't already have one) and check out the specific exam topics listed for your selected exam option (one exam or two exams).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Thanks for the link!
    Yeah, I have an account cuz I linked it to the account that will get cred for my certification, so I'll head over there and check it out.

Thanks again!

• Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    As of to date; September 20th, 2010 the Cisco SDM has been pronounced EoL/EoS (End of Life/End of Service) but if you’re taking the CCNA Exam (640-802) you may still encounter this GUI so with that being said, its best ti familiarize yourself with the SDM until Cisco has officially announced that the SDM is no longer on the CCNA exam.
    Configuring SDM Minimum Requirements | Free CCNA Workbook

Now I wonder if SDM is still covered on the exam and when it will be updated to reflect this change. It is still listed under the official exam objectives on cisco.com:
    • Enable NAT for a small network with a single ISP and connection using SDM and verify operation using CLI and ping
    • Configure, verify and troubleshoot DHCP and DNS operation on a router.(including: CLI/SDM)
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    ehnde wrote: »
    Configuring SDM Minimum Requirements | Free CCNA Workbook

Now I wonder if SDM is still covered on the exam and when it will be updated to reflect this change. It is still listed under the official exam objectives on cisco.com:

SDM was on my CCNA: Security when I took a few months back (even commented on the exam as to why it was there just because lol) .. Not sure about the CCNA since I took the old 640-801 (Last it was available to icon_smile.gif )
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    They'll probably only remove SDM when the exam is updated...I have no idea how often that is done. Maybe yearly or even just randomly?
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ehnde wrote: »
    They'll probably only remove SDM when the exam is updated...I have no idea how often that is done. Maybe yearly or even just randomly?

I seriously doubt anything is done randomly at Cisco. icon_mrgreen.gif

"As needed" would be a better guess.
  • Options
    Another thing to consider is that Cisco is still a company that needs to push products....if they've deprecated the SDM product, there's a good chance they've starting removing it from the tests, even though they haven't said anything officially.

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Mierdin wrote: »
    if they've deprecated the SDM product, there's a good chance they've starting removing it from the tests, even though they haven't said anything officially.
    WRONG!!!

I failed a Cisco exam because I decided they weren't going to ask me questions about topics in the exam blueprint based on outdated hardware -- so I skipped reviewing my notes on those topics. I got hammered by questions based on that outdated hardware and failed by 5 points.

If it's listed in the exam blueprint, you study it.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    By no means was I suggesting that a topic be ignored...as was recommended after my OP, I studied for SDM-related concepts regardless.

I was simply saying that if cisco had to start pulling items from the blueprints, they'd start with topics like SDM that apparently have been EOL'd.

Obviously they're to be studied until they're to be done officially.