Information Security: Operating Systems?

SynthrosSynthros Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
If someone is looking to get into information security, is it better to know one operating system vs. another? I look at a lot of job descriptions to try to determine the best path, but it can be confusing because they range from wanting expert-level experience with Linux to the same level of experience with Microsoft technologies. Some even want both, and some don't mention anything about operating systems at all.

I'm trying to figure out what the best path is so that I'm not painting myself into a corner with certs. I don't want to waste time going down the wrong path, as I know any one cert path can take quite a long time.

Since I know the question will come up, I'm ultimately looking toward network security architecture. I'd like to work with companies to map out their network/security layouts (whether its a new setup or they're looking to upgrade their infrastructure), and work on the actual implementation as well.

This is the end goal. I'm an incredibly LONG way off from this right now. I just wanted to put this out there to give eveyone an idea of the direction I'd like to take.

Comments

• rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm about to get started in the field but the general advice I've heard is be really good with one operating and versed in the others. Your basic networking knowledge will carry through across distributions; its the syntax that will change.
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Be prepared for religious dogma...

Seriously, if you break down the statistics of usage, you will cover the vast majority of system by understanding Windows and Linux (and Linux will give you a good understanding of the plethora of Unix-type operating systems on the market).

I straddle standard IT and IA fields in what I do as it could really go either way, but my intent is to do more Information Assurance work as time goes on; I am positioning myself for this with my certifications and graduate school work.

However, if you talk to one group of security folks, they will tell you that you should learn Linux and they will treat you like a pariah if you seriously undertake Microsoft systems. This position is self-defeating, however. If they truly disrespect the security of systems that Microsoft offers, then it makes sense to understand these systems and how to better secure them... I mean, if Linux is so awesome and MS stinks, that would only seem natural, especially given the marketshare of Microsoft.

Learn both as best as you can. At some point, you may need to favor one over the other based on your job... you can decide when you meet that fork in the road.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There is no one is better than the other. A Security Professional has to be able to work in heterogeneous environments. The larger your breadth of knowledge the better able you will be able to secure an organization as a whole. Do not worry about certifications as much as gaining the knowledge in many arenas.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Be comfortable in Windows and Linux and have the resources to research what you do not understand.