Options

Time to learn windows 7

PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
I think the next certification i'm going to study for is the MSTS Windows 7, config but I feel it might be a good idea to have a computer with windows 7 before I take it.

At the moment I'm thinking about just buying a brand new laptop with windows 7, but I want to know if I should go for the professional version or the home premium.
A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
A+, Network+, CCNA

Comments

• Options
    Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    Priston wrote: »
    I think the next certification i'm going to study for is the MSTS Windows 7, config but I feel it might be a good idea to have a computer with windows 7 before I take it.

At the moment I'm thinking about just buying a brand new laptop with windows 7, but I want to know if I should go for the professional version or the home premium.

You only need Pro+ if you want to join a domain, otherwise home prem will be fine.
  • Options
    SynthrosSynthros Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The Windows 7 certification (70-680) is geared toward running Windows 7 in an Enterprise environment. With that, I would definitely go with the Professional version. Home Premium does not have certain capabilities, such as being able to join a domain (and as a result, it cannot use Group Policies).
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Most laptops comes with Home Premium but I would upgrade it to Pro if you need to use features like Direct Access, Bitlocker ...etc

You can use a very nice feature called Windows Anytime Upgrade in order to do the upgrade after you purchase the laptop

Take a look here

Windows 7 Pricing Buy Install Choose Edition Features Upgrades Offers
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Try downloading the 90-day trial of Enterprise,so you can access all the available features.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    +1 I think the more advanced features are only available on enterprise/ultimate. It would probably do you good to put the Windows 7 enterprise and Server 2008 R2 as VMs and play with them together.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    za3bour wrote: »
    Most laptops comes with Home Premium but I would upgrade it to Pro if you need to use features like Direct Access, Bitlocker ...etc

You can use a very nice feature called Windows Anytime Upgrade in order to do the upgrade after you purchase the laptop

Take a look here

Windows 7 Pricing Buy Install Choose Edition Features Upgrades Offers

Pro does not support BitLocker or Direct Access. The link you provided states this. Only enterprise and ultimate support those features.
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    QHalo wrote: »
    Pro does not support BitLocker or Direct Access. The link you provided states this. Only enterprise and ultimate support those features.

Professional does support Bitlocker but it doesn't support Bitlocker to go (which is for removable storage) as for Direct Access you are right about it.
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    buying a windows 7 ultimate 32-bit oem from newegg and using it on my desktop is starting to look like a better idea now. I just wish I could buy it as a 64-bit version instead, but pro tools 8 only works on 32-bit x.x
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    gandalphgandalph Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree about using trial versions and if you go to this site

How to extend the Windows Server 2008 evaluation period

you can extend the trial period
    obesa cantavit

certs: MCITP (7 and Vista),MCTS,MCSE,MCSA,MCDST,CCAI,A+,Network+,Server+