I'm trying to figure out what book I should use to study for the CCENT

CCNA INTRO Official Exam Certification Guide
Ciscopress.com by Wendell Odom

or

CCENT: Cisco Certified Entry Networking Technician
Sybex by Todd Lammle

or

???

also, are there alot of simulations in the test?
A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
A+, Network+, CCNA

Comments

• Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Both books are popular; which is better depends more on the reader's ability to cope with the writer's writing style. I didn't care for Lammle's book at all while other's swear by it.

Nobody can tell you the number of simulations on the test; first off there's the NDA, secondly the test is constantly changing so any answer you MIGHT get would probably already be inaccurate.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Those are the 2 books everyone seems to prefer. Some prefer one over the other but most people, if possible, use both.
    You can assume there will be between 1 and 25 simulations on the test. I haven't taken it yet so I'm just guessing.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    PhildoBagginsPhildoBaggins Member Posts: 276
    earweed wrote: »
    Those are the 2 books everyone seems to prefer. Some prefer one over the other but most people, if possible, use both.
    You can assume there will be between 1 and 25 simulations on the test. I haven't taken it yet so I'm just guessing.

Those 2 books are really good in learning the information required on the CCENT.

Alternatively I found the latest ICND1 Exam Cram a really good review 2 weeks out from the test. I went throught that book, took notes on each section, did all the chapter tests (if I scored below 90% on anything I re-read the chapter) and then it included 2 full 50-60 question tests.

Once I learned the foundational information for the ICND1 (Cisco Press, McGraw, CBT Nuggets) the exam cram book really hit it home for me.

I plan on taking this same course of action with ICND2. I've already made it through CBT a few times, going through Cisco Press ICND2 cert guide by Wendell Odom, then I will hit Exam cram CCNA/Exam cram CCNA test questions/31 days to CCNA combined with 5-10 hours of labs a week :)
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Google books has previews of both. As has already been said, the only real difference is the writing styles of Odom and Lammle. Look at the previews and see which you prefer.
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    bermovick wrote: »
    Nobody can tell you the number of simulations on the test; first off there's the NDA, secondly the test is constantly changing so any answer you MIGHT get would probably already be inaccurate.
    I didn't realize the NDA was that strict. Either way I found what i'm looking for about what type of questions I should expect to see on the test.
    Certification Exam Tutorial - IT Certification and Career Paths - Cisco Systems

Cisco Career Certification exams include the following test formats:
    • Multiple-choice single answer
    • Multiple-choice multiple answer
    • Drag-and-drop
    • Fill-in-the-blank
    • Testlet
    • Simlet
    • Simulations
    Before taking the exam, candidates should become familiar with how all exam types function-especially the testlet, simlet, and the simulation tool. Such practice will allow candidates to focus their exam-taking efforts on the exam questions rather than on how to correctly use the tools. The tutorial below familiarizes users with the software tools used in Cisco Career Certification exams
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    Priston wrote: »
    I didn't realize the NDA was that strict. Either way I found what i'm looking for about what type of questions I should expect to see on the test.
    Certification Exam Tutorial - IT Certification and Career Paths - Cisco Systems

Cisco Career Certification exams include the following test formats:
    • Multiple-choice single answer
    • Multiple-choice multiple answer
    • Drag-and-drop
    • Fill-in-the-blank
    • Testlet
    • Simlet
    • Simulations
    Before taking the exam, candidates should become familiar with how all exam types function-especially the testlet, simlet, and the simulation tool. Such practice will allow candidates to focus their exam-taking efforts on the exam questions rather than on how to correctly use the tools. The tutorial below familiarizes users with the software tools used in Cisco Career Certification exams

Its a safe bet to prepare for everything. Even brush up on hand to hand combat and pizza making skills before you go in there....you never know.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Its a safe bet to prepare for everything. Even brush up on hand to hand combat and pizza making skills before you go in there....you never know.

This is the kind of excuse that I need to spend the next 2 weeks at the pizzeria. You know, for research. icon_mrgreen.gif
  • Options
    alan2308 wrote: »
    This is the kind of excuse that I need to spend the next 2 weeks at the pizzeria. You know, for research. icon_mrgreen.gif

Before I took my ICND1 I reverse engineered Goober Grape and its lesser known Ralphs/Kroger off brand version Yipes Stripes.

I found the intermixing of peanut butter and jelly in the same jar really helped me understand VLSM.
  • Options
    7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    my advice to you would be that if you have the cash buy both books, the more sources you have the more likely that one or the other will explain a topic in terms you understand, i am currently studying CCNA and have both books, as well as flash cards and plenty of hardware,

best of luck with your studies

carl
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops