Options

Gloves recommendation? - Cold temps

nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

very off topic indeed. im looking for a very lightweight but warm pair of gloves for when i go skydiving as the temperatures often reach minus numbers when getting to altitude. i cant stress enough they have to be lightweight as i have to be able to operate the canopy etc. Someone recommended the Gore challenger windbreaker gloves.

Just thought i'd ask here as i know many of you live in very cold places or participate in cold sports :D
Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
WIP: Msc advanced networking

Comments

• Options
    Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    nel wrote: »
    Hi,

very off topic indeed. im looking for a very lightweight but warm pair of gloves for when i go skydiving as the temperatures often reach minus numbers when getting to altitude. i cant stress enough they have to be lightweight as i have to be able to operate the canopy etc. Someone recommended the Gore challenger windbreaker gloves.

Just thought i'd ask here as i know many of you live in very cold places or participate in cold sports :D

Try asking on a sky diving forum maybe icon_idea.gif

But if you want a geeks opinion then i think these would be well cool, you won't need a shute. your hands would be warm and your peers would thing you were well hard not needing gloves.

the-science-of-sleep-had-some-big-hands-30726-1237324696-15.jpg
  • Options
    Mojo_666 wrote: »
    Try asking on a sky diving forum maybe icon_idea.gif

But if you want a geeks opinion then i think these would be well cool, you won't need a shute. your hands would be warm and your peers would thing you were well hard not needing gloves.

the-science-of-sleep-had-some-big-hands-30726-1237324696-15.jpg

errr, do you not think i have already :D...the ones i tried from friends/recommendations didnt fit what i wanted. So thought i'd ask here as it applies to many things, not just skydiving, and many people live in cold arse parts of canada/US etc and may do winter sports.

nice pic tho :D

• Options
    Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    nel wrote: »
    errr, do you not think i have already :D...the ones i tried from friends/recommendations didnt fit what i wanted. So thought i'd ask here as it applies to many things, not just skydiving, and many people live in cold arse parts of canada/US etc and may do winter sports.

nice pic tho :D

Fair enough, I am surprised they could not recomend anything though, I have no ideas, I hardly ever go outside when it's cold, so just get by with some thinsulates.
  • Options
    Mojo_666 wrote: »
    Fair enough, I am surprised they could not recomend anything though, I have no ideas, I hardly ever go outside when it's cold, so just get by with some thinsulates.

yeah, they recommended quite a few but the 3-4 i tried when jumping didnt keep my hands warm enough...i couldnt feel them anymore lol. i was just kind of wondering if anyone from other sports or cold environments maybe had some suggestions.

• Options
    elphrank0elphrank0 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Have you tried running gloves? They have wind protection built in and tech fabric to keep you warm. I have a pair of Saucony gloves.
  • Options
    elphrank0 wrote: »
    Have you tried running gloves? They have wind protection built in and tech fabric to keep you warm. I have a pair of Saucony gloves.

Hi,

no not yet i havent. Although i believe the pair i was recommended before by a friend are windrbreaker running gloves! sadly i didnt get the chance to sample a pair. May just buy them anyway!

• Options
    elphrank0elphrank0 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    yes I can recommend some gloves. they are branded "big girls" and the model name is "blouse". Check them out.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I jumped in the army, I didnt wear any gloves...though you may find that to be unreasonable.

Consider this though...the warmer you can keep your core, the warmer the blood will flow to your extremeties. I dont think you need to worry so much about the 'warmth' factor, as you do about cutting out the wind. I would imagine any kind of glove similar to diving style gloves would do the trick...I just wouldnt want to give up that dexterity.

my .02
  • Options
    motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    You should be able to swing by any civi military store/shop.

Look at the G1119 models in the link below. I have used these for jumping, OD green/Black, as well as weapons firing. Good stuff and the description fits. Mine were military grade, so if the description is believable you can count on those to be squared away.

Parachutes? Skydiving equipment? Shop ParaGear.com!

What alt and temp ranges are you jumping in?
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • Options
    ssampierssampier Member Posts: 224
    brad- wrote: »
    I jumped in the army, I didnt wear any gloves...though you may find that to be unreasonable.

Consider this though...the warmer you can keep your core, the warmer the blood will flow to your extremeties. I dont think you need to worry so much about the 'warmth' factor, as you do about cutting out the wind. I would imagine any kind of glove similar to diving style gloves would do the trick...I just wouldnt want to give up that dexterity.

my .02

Jumping out of perfectly good airplanes as my old 82nd Airborne Army vet buddy would put it....
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNA:Security
    CCNP

More security exams and then the world.
  • Options
    Pash wrote: »
    yes I can recommend some gloves. they are branded "big girls" and the model name is "blouse". Check them out.

hahahaha. you'd be suprised how cold it can get when jumping in parts of the UK. I would just prefer to be able to feel my hands so if i need to do a reserve drill then at least this wont become an issue eh :D

motogpman wrote:
    What alt and temp ranges are you jumping in?

Depending on weather but it can be anywhere upto 13k feet. Not exactly sure what the temperature range is but last weekend it was varying around -15 to -20 degrees give or take (so i was told) at altitude.

• Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    Another recommendation is to look into winter running gloves, should be able to find some at a running store.
    WIP: IPS exam