Took A+ back in high school, only got half of it

tom_dubtom_dub Member Posts: 59 ■■■■□□□□□□
Back in 2005 I took an A+ elective course in high school. I passed the first hardware portion of it but failed the software part as I wasn't really taking the class seriously at the time. I'm not sure if my hardware certification is still valid or what. Also if it is, how will it work once Jan 2011 comes when the certs will have to be retaken every 3 years? If I was to get my software part of the cert after that date would it have to be retaken every 3 years while the hardware wouldn't?

Comments

• Cert PoorCert Poor Member Posts: 240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The 2006 and 2009 A+ exams have been out for awhile. You'll have to start from scratch with the 2009 A+.

1. Check out CompTIA for the exam details and renewal policy.
    2. Start accounts with Prometric and Pearson VUE if you haven't already.
    3. Order Mke Meyer's All-In-One 7th Edition book for A+ and use ProfessorMesser.com for free videos.
    4. Study and pass!

All of your questions are rhetorical and already answered in obvious locations. Good luck!
    In progress: MTA: Database Fundamentals (98-364)
    Next up: CompTIA Cloud Essentials+ (CLO-002) or LPI Linux Essentials (010-160)
    Earned: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Server+, Proj+
    ITIL-F v3 2011 | ServiceNow CSA, CAD, CIS | CWNP CWTS
  • tom_dubtom_dub Member Posts: 59 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks. I keep reading about if you have the certification before December 31, 2010 then its good for life, don't really see anything saying it has to be the 2006-2009 version of the test. I also have a CompTIA cert called I-net+ that I know isn't even offered anymore. Is this still valid?
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Like Cert poor said, you are 2 revisions behind. You will find similarities in the current version of the test, but it is going to include new things that weren't included with what you took. Best advice is to pick up a book and look it over. I unfortunately don't know a good one, but I bet there are several crawling on this forum.

Good luck, and always remember to ask questions.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Cert PoorCert Poor Member Posts: 240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tom_dub wrote: »
    Thanks. I keep reading about if you have the certification before December 31, 2010 then its good for life, don't really see anything saying it has to be the 2006-2009 version of the test.

It doesn't have to be those version, true, but the 2009 version is the only one out now, so it's your only choice. Whatever version you took in 2005 has been retired. (Can't mix exams from different years)
    tom_dumb wrote:
    I also have a CompTIA cert called I-net+ that I know isn't even offered anymore. Is this still valid?

Pretty sure it is. http://www.comptia.org/careerid to find out for sure :)
    In progress: MTA: Database Fundamentals (98-364)
    Next up: CompTIA Cloud Essentials+ (CLO-002) or LPI Linux Essentials (010-160)
    Earned: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Server+, Proj+
    ITIL-F v3 2011 | ServiceNow CSA, CAD, CIS | CWNP CWTS
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    tom_dub wrote: »
    I also have a CompTIA cert called I-net+ that I know isn't even offered anymore. Is this still valid?

Yes its valid, its your forever. However CompTIA retired it and as far as I know have no plans of ever picking it back up. So with that, the credibility of it has gone down as has the weight that it carries.
    Decide what to be and go be it.