Native IPv6

tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
I recently upgraded my home ADSL2+ line to FTTC which comes in as VDSL2 over the regular phone line. It is presented as a PPPoE connection as the VDSL2 modem I have no control over. My ISP are one of the handful here who support a native non tunneled IPv6 connection and together with the need to buy a new router, I'm now running a dual stack implementation with native IPv4 and IPv6 over my internet connection. My original IPv6 connection was via 6in4 tunnel but that had a MTU of 1280.

I've got a /48 assigned for IPv6 but only a /64 subnet routed. I'm asking to get another /64 routed to me so I can do testing without messing with my main connection.

Is anybody else using IPv6 native or tunneled at home? I know the current counter for IPv4 address allocations will expire in around 220ish days but that doesn't include the blocks already held by the RIRs and ISPs so the actual exhaustion point is slightly further away. Somebody gave back a big block as well recently.

Considering the current adoption rate of IPv6 for end users, I don't see it really working properly yet. There is CGN which will help but that isn't a great solution really as there are many flaws with it. Teredo is very clunky as well.

This might be better in the CCNP area than CCNA...

Comments

• ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    I was just reading up on this topic the other day. White House issues IPv6 directive

Seems like that might help spur along commercial adoption of ipv6.

No, I'm not using it. I thought of calling my ISP to see if they offer it yet. Really hate talking to those people, though. I'd be on hold for 30 minutes before finally being transferred to someone that knows what ipv6 is. How do you know if your provider offers IPv6 (native or tunneled) in your area? I have at&t DSL.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    ehnde wrote: »
    I was just reading up on this topic the other day. White House issues IPv6 directive

Seems like that might help spur along commercial adoption of ipv6.
    The server and infrastructure side is the "easy" part. The hard part is making sure that end users can actually use IPv6. There are people out there who are still using ancient versions of OSes that don't have IPv6 support or it isn't configured.

It'd be a horrible job trying to get all the end users installed with an IPv6 stack and then configured correctly. If you're doing 6in4 tunneling then it means you need to configure the router and any firewalls to not block protocol 41. If it is native IPv6 then the router and firewall need to be upgraded or replaced to support it. The firewall would need to be reconfigured in both cases as it won't know what to do with IPv6.

The solutions put forward for the IPv4 to IPv6 transition are all flawed in some manner but there isn't anything you can do to avoid it. There will be a lot of reconfiguration and breakage when it does get to the point that you can't avoid IPv6.

That said, upgrading the servers and infrastructure still won't be easy. There isn't much of a benefit at the moment as most of the world is still stuck with IPv4 so making a business case for the work involved is difficult. Quite a few major sites have made the transition though.
    ehnde wrote: »
    No, I'm not using it. I thought of calling my ISP to see if they offer it yet. Really hate talking to those people, though. I'd be on hold for 30 minutes before finally being transferred to someone that knows what ipv6 is. How do you know if your provider offers IPv6 (native or tunneled) in your area? I have at&t DSL.
    My ISP advertises that they support native IPv6. They're more of a technical orientated ISP as they give me greater control over my connection than a regular ISP would.

SixXS has a list of native IPv6 capable ISPs.
  • stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    I'm not native with IPv6 as besides some quite expensive options, the ISPs in the UK seem to be digging their heels in. How I would love to go with AAISP but I dont have the cash for that currently.

However, I am tunelling with Hurricane Electric, so I at least have some access to the v6 internet. Hopefully at some point the ISPs are going to wise up over here and we'll get going properly
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1