Data centre jobs

PickerPicker Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi all i was wondring if someone here can help with this simple question. What sort of experince one should have to work in a data centre as a shift operator.

I was ask this question today by a friend who works for a huge organization that require a shift operator. The only cert he have is N+ and currently studying for his CCNA and already booked his CCENT for next week. I told him that, because he dont have any experience should not deter him from applying for the post.

At the moment he is doing something totaly diffrent form IT but at the same time loves networking to bits he is a lab rat thats what i called him. Guys working at a data centre can you advise please.

Thanks in adv

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Whats the job description? Shift Operator is pretty meaningless without some kind of idea of what all it includes.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • PickerPicker Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Whats the job description? Shift Operator is pretty meaningless without some kind of idea of what all it includes.

Thanks for you quick response i was waiting for him to fill me up on this.

MAIN DUTIES.

To comply, at all times, with all current Company procedures, rules and guidelines, which have

been notified or made available.
    To perform the centralised operations service that monitors the delivery of IT services to the internal and external customer base.
    To perform proactive operations processes to supports a high availability service and which reacts effectively to error and / or exceptions to the standard delivery.
    To operate the automation of systems operations task through the effective use of the systems management tools provided.
    To assist in the maintenance of adequate documentation relating to the operational function. To take ownership of all calls received and ensure the successful completion of these to the customer’s satisfaction.
    To communicate the status of outstanding problems to the customer service team / business /management team.
    To perform the correct and efficient operation of all hardware platforms used in the delivery of the core services.
    To perform all designated housekeeping is performed on all primary / core hardware.
    To maintain hardware operations through the effective use of the systems management tools provided.
    To perform the correct and efficient operation of all application systems used in the delivery of the core services.
    To perform adequate housekeeping and preventative maintenance is performed on all primary /core hardware.
    To perform applications systems operations through the effective use of the systems management tools provided.
    To follow all manufacturers guidelines relative to the hardware operation and recommended
    preventative maintenance processes.

Knowledge, Skill & Experience

Demonstrated understanding / expertise in:
    Working within enterprise class Datacentres to strict operating standards / process.
    Hardware (network and server) operation.
    An understanding of networking techniques / technology.
    A good understanding of data cabling techniques / technology.
    An understanding of – Microsoft product set, Unix, VMS, Oracle.
    Knowledge of ITIL framework.
    Some experience in a large IT environment
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    No qualies required for DC OPs. Some previous experience maybe. Some evidence you can string a pair of brain cells together. Reliability and trust is more important than anything for this role.

OPs don't do. The rest of the company has teams that do. OPs look after the data centre. Look after the deliveries. Look after the access for non DC personnel. Look after the backups and tapes and off site storage.
    Kam.
  • Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    From what I know I am with kaminsky, you really are just a gofor on behalf of the client, unless you are a hosting company or it is YOUR companies data center.
  • PickerPicker Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thnak a lot i will 4wd this on