Windows 3.11

L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
So this post just came from Win 3x using IE5. I forgot how much fun vintage computing was.
I bring nothing useful to the table...

Comments

• rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thats what I'm talkin about! Using the throwback haha. icon_cheers.gif
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    i am now sorely tempted to get an OS/2 box up and running.....
  • bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I always wanted to try OS/2 (warp?). Haven't thought about it in years... now I'm eyeing my VirtualBox icon and doing a lot of debating :)
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
    bermovick wrote: »
    I always wanted to try OS/2 (warp?). Haven't thought about it in years... now I'm eyeing my VirtualBox icon and doing a lot of debating :)

I used to run a 4-node BBS off of OS/2 Warp, it was great!
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Ahh Windows for Warehouses, I remember it well. Wait I have something in my eye.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    i am now sorely tempted to get an OS/2 box up and running.....
    Dude. You're sick. Go seek help.
    Even thought it is IE5 which is widely regarded as crap and just a mass of bugs, you're probably safer browsing with that then a current browser as who is going to actively try to attack with Win16 exploits...
    tiersten wrote: »

I guess I should join him. I have one hung off my development lan that hasn't been rebooted in 4 years when its ups died during a lengthy power failure. Eventually the client will stop paying and shotgun and I can kill it and toy hardware. Brain once molested by someone named billg.

What can I say, I've been looking for Microsoft alternatives since my teens hehe
    I assume you two won't be using OS/2 with the Windows bolt on feature :D
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This post is coming from Windows NT4 with Internet Explorer 2.0 (Build 1381).

It's not pretty, but it works.
    I assume you two won't be using OS/2 with the Windows bolt on feature :D

Tried that on my first OS/2 Warp 3 install. Wasn't happy with it, upgraded to Blue Spine shortly thereafter. When Warp Connect came out, that's all she wrote!
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    I went to the basement dug out the "box"

Windows 3.0 w/ a ega monitor, esdi drive (20meg), laser mouse that had to have that silver mouse pad to work, and pc dos 6.22

The older sgi wouldn't come on
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
    Windows 3.0 w/ a ega monitor, esdi drive (20meg), laser mouse that had to have that silver mouse pad to work, and pc dos 6.22

Oh I remember those mice. I loathed those things!
    Oh I remember those mice. I loathed those things!
    *rotates Forsaken's mouse pad by 90 degrees*
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    So this post just came from Win 3x using IE5. I forgot how much fun vintage computing was.
    Is that Windoze for Workgroups 3.11 with the MS TCP/IP add-on. Or Windows 3.11 with a 3rd party TCP/IP stack (I used FTP Software a bunch & still have the DOS development kit in the big green binder).

What about QEMM for memory management so you could load your TCP/IP, LanMan, Novell, and Banyan network stacks at the same time?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    alan2308 wrote: »
    This post is coming from Windows NT4 with Internet Explorer 2.0 (Build 1381).
    If I had the time I'd go all in with Lynx2.8 on DOS
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    phoeneous wrote: »
    1j5g9j.gif
    Exactly. And where was this valued software obtained from.
    varelg wrote: »
    Exactly. And where was this valued software obtained from.
    I got my first DOS with my 8088 dual 5-1/4 floppy Clone from Chicago Computer Connection. I'm pretty sure all my upgrades came from either EggHead, Elek-Tek or CDW (I remember dragging my NEC-3D home from the downtown store on the subway/bus) -- and then later maybe Computer City or CompUSA.

I think Windows 3.11 and DOS 6.22 are available on the TechNet downloads for those of you who weren't born when DOS first came out. icon_lol.gif
    mikej412 wrote: »
    I think Windows 3.11 and DOS 6.22 are available on the TechNet downloads for those of you who weren't born when DOS first came out. icon_lol.gif

Say what? No wait... ohh yea I guess.. sigh
    I got my first DOS with my 8088 dual 5-1/4 floppy Clone from Chicago Computer Connection. I'm pretty sure all my upgrades came from either EggHead, Elek-Tek or CDW (I remember dragging my NEC-3D home from the downtown store on the subway/bus) -- and then later maybe Computer City or CompUSA.

Ah, good times. We didn't have much money when I was growing up, so I beg borrowed and stole time on friends and school computers, cut my teeth on CP/M, thought it was great when I got to high school and they had IBM PS/2 8088's that ran DOS 3.3. My very first computer that I could call my own was a piece of crap 80286 with 1 meg of RAM and a 10 meg hard drive that I bought from the classifieds, and I had to wait until I was 16 and could get a job to buy it (just so I could run a BBS!)

I fondly remember when DOS 5.0 came out and EDIT.COM replaced EDLIN. I remember the horror that was DOS 4.0, and the reason for SETVER.EXE. I remember when DOS 6.0 came out and how I used the multi config options to build a tree out of my CONFIG.SYS so I could just press a number and play my game of choice (with optimized memory settings for that game, of course!) and I remember when I took the risk of using DoubleSpace and it killed my hard drive.

I miss those nice simple days, when you had to set your IRQ's and base addresses when you added hardware, and you looked for motherboards with a PS/2 mouse port so you could get an IRQ back. ISA video cards, then VLB, and SIMM's, MFM and RLL hard drives, and Packard Bell being a swear word.

Kids today don't know what they missed
  • L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    Is that Windoze for Workgroups 3.11 with the MS TCP/IP add-on. Or Windows 3.11 with a 3rd party TCP/IP stack (I used FTP Software a bunch & still have the DOS development kit in the big green binder).

What about QEMM for memory management so you could load your TCP/IP, LanMan, Novell, and Banyan network stacks at the same time?

I have to admit I cheated a little bit and went with WfW. I do have just 3.1 installed, but it's a real pain to get any networking on it. I installed Microsoft's TCP/IP stack for this little gem. I think I'm going to install netscape on it and see how well it does compared to IE5. It's been so long since I've used it.

I currently have Windows 95 installing, so I'm going to break it out here in a bit. Maybe I'll go download WinNuke. hahaha
  • SabaloSabalo Member Posts: 100
    This post came from Abacus 1.0 using ivory beads and a callused fingertip interface.
    I'm no expert, I'm just a guy with some time, money, and the desire to learn a few things.

Completed ITILv3 on 11/20, working on College & METEO, reading Classics on my Kindle, organizing my music library with Mediamonkey & TuneUp, trying to lose a wee bit of weight by running, eating less, and lifting weights, planning for my stateside vacation, and wasting time posting on forums.
    All right, Windows 95 and IE 4 for this post. haha
    1j5g9j.gif

l0gicb0mb508-albums-random-picture156-3-11-95-te.png

Ask and ye shall receive!
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    1j5g9j.gif