Options

Windows 3.11

2»

Comments

• Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    How dare you all. I'm almost convinced to start wasting some of my precious time to build some VM's for nostalgia. DAMN YOU ALL! :D
  • Options
    skylineskyline Member Posts: 135
    I found this one. Enjoy!

Steve Ballmer selling windows
    Goals for '11
    MCITP: EA
    ITIL
    CCNA

Studying:
    MS press book 70-680
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I decided to set up Windows 3.1 inside dosbox after reading this thread.
  • Options
    Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    I have a windows 3.11 Advanced Server CD which is still sealed so I kick all your asses. PM me for a pic as I cannot post such strong geek pron here.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I threw away a sealed copy of Microsoft BASIC for the Apple Macintosh from the mid 80's sometime last year.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mikej412 wrote: »
    I think Windows 3.11 and DOS 6.22 are available on the TechNet downloads for those of you who weren't born when DOS first came out. icon_lol.gif

You're not kidding...I was talking to very cute young lady at a party who was born in 1990!!! Never felt so old........she was barely alive when I was turning into a PC hobbyist. 80386sx/16, 2MB RAM, DOS 5.0 (no Windows 3.1 at the time...that would get downloaded later icon_razz.gif), 24-pin dot matrix printer (a Panasonic one at that), 40 MB hard drive (and yes, we're talking Megabytes, kiddies!! Gigabytes wouldn't be out for a few more years....and that was only 1GB and 2 GB!)....

Man, that does take me back!!! And yes, technet does offer the ancient software for download....was considering putting a VirtualBox on it so I could play the original Wolfenstien 3D game (and Doom)!! LOL!
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Ah, good times. We didn't have much money when I was growing up, so I beg borrowed and stole time on friends and school computers, cut my teeth on CP/M, thought it was great when I got to high school and they had IBM PS/2 8088's that ran DOS 3.3. My very first computer that I could call my own was a piece of crap 80286 with 1 meg of RAM and a 10 meg hard drive that I bought from the classifieds, and I had to wait until I was 16 and could get a job to buy it (just so I could run a BBS!)

I miss those nice simple days, when you had to set your IRQ's and base addresses when you added hardware, and you looked for motherboards with a PS/2 mouse port so you could get an IRQ back. ISA video cards, then VLB, and SIMM's, MFM and RLL hard drives, and Packard Bell being a swear word.

Kids today don't know what they missed

I too ran a BBS! My BBS is part of the nationwide historical BBS list. I was even a Fidnonet node for a brief time! I even had a "special" section of my otherwise legit board for "special" software. ;)

Kids today really don't know what they missed. All they do now is plug in whatever and install a driver (if that!). In the old days, you actually had to configure those IRQs via jumpers....none of this plug and play stuff (though I'd be lying if I said I hate plug and play...lol but I am glad that I KNEW how to deal with non-plug and play devices.....).
  • Options
    krauserkrauser Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ah, good times. We didn't have much money when I was growing up, so I beg borrowed and stole time on friends and school computers, cut my teeth on CP/M, thought it was great when I got to high school and they had IBM PS/2 8088's that ran DOS 3.3. My very first computer that I could call my own was a piece of crap 80286 with 1 meg of RAM and a 10 meg hard drive that I bought from the classifieds, and I had to wait until I was 16 and could get a job to buy it (just so I could run a BBS!)

I fondly remember when DOS 5.0 came out and EDIT.COM replaced EDLIN. I remember the horror that was DOS 4.0, and the reason for SETVER.EXE. I remember when DOS 6.0 came out and how I used the multi config options to build a tree out of my CONFIG.SYS so I could just press a number and play my game of choice (with optimized memory settings for that game, of course!) and I remember when I took the risk of using DoubleSpace and it killed my hard drive.

I miss those nice simple days, when you had to set your IRQ's and base addresses when you added hardware, and you looked for motherboards with a PS/2 mouse port so you could get an IRQ back. ISA video cards, then VLB, and SIMM's, MFM and RLL hard drives, and Packard Bell being a swear word.

Kids today don't know what they missed

Amazing post. The old days, uh? icon_thumright.gif