Options

***Trying to set up Cisco network at home

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
I am currently reading the N+ book and wow it is a lot of good information. Networking is my least strongest subject. I have done some programming and database, but network 0. So anyway I want to make a weakness and insecurity a strength and not only that I find this genre of IT very interesting.

Anyway I am scheduled to join the Cisco academy through the local university and I am wondering type of hardware I should purchase to start practicing. I tried to do some research on my own, but think it would be wiser to default to working professionals.

I currently work in an enterprise environment and do low level NOC work along with my normal tier 2 responsibilities, but never configured, designed a network.

Thanks for your time and answers. One last thing I would like to eventually hook up some desktops and rebrick them with windows server 03 or 08, maybe linux and get them talking to each other.

Comments

• Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The sticky at the top of this section has good information for where to start when it comes to cisco: http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/823-techlabs-ccna.html

I would consider looking into purchasing a lab, Cisco Certification: CCNA, CCNP, CCIE, used Cisco router, Cisco switch, Cisco routers. has a good choice but are kind of expencive, ebay is another option if you want to risk it.

Do you want a cisco LAB at home, or your home network on cisco? If you want your home network to be fueled by cisco, I'd consider being halfway through your Netacad studies before jumping into that project. Any step by step guide anyone could give you on it would assume some decent knoweldge on the subject on your part. Someone who wants to build airplanes does not just start to build one, they must learn about all of the pieces involved in the airplane first. Same applies here.

Keep the NOC job, it will be good experiance for getting you further in your career after you get your CCENT and CCNA, if you go that far.

Net+ is basic compaired to CCENT, which is the level before CCNA. Netacad will help guide you along correctly.

Best of luck!
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    chmorin wrote: »
    The sticky at the top of this section has good information for where to start when it comes to cisco: http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/823-techlabs-ccna.html

I would consider looking into purchasing a lab, Cisco Certification: CCNA, CCNP, CCIE, used Cisco router, Cisco switch, Cisco routers. has a good choice but are kind of expencive, ebay is another option if you want to risk it.

Do you want a cisco LAB at home, or your home network on cisco? If you want your home network to be fueled by cisco, I'd consider being halfway through your Netacad studies before jumping into that project. Any step by step guide anyone could give you on it would assume some decent knoweldge on the subject on your part. Someone who wants to build airplanes does not just start to build one, they must learn about all of the pieces involved in the airplane first. Same applies here.

Keep the NOC job, it will be good experiance for getting you further in your career after you get your CCENT and CCNA, if you go that far.

Net+ is basic compaired to CCENT, which is the level before CCNA. Netacad will help guide you along correctly.

Best of luck!

Thank you very much
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    get ready to subnet until you explode. good luck with your studies!
    WIP: IPS exam