Options

Ios

richandyrichandy Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just got my 2650XM, and they have various IOS - 12.2 - 12.4. Which IOS should I install on them? I have access to 12.4.15 adventerprisek9. Do I install this first then the SDM 2.5?
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Load the biggest/baddest latest/greatest IOS version and feature that's supported by your router DRAM/Flash (upgrading your DRAM/Flash if you have to).

It's easiest to run SDM from your PC -- but if you want to try loading and running it from Flash you probably want to load the image that supports SDM first and then make sure you have the space on your Flash for the SDM files. Search for recent SDM/Java posts to find the latest Java version that works with SDM -- or a known working older version.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Thanks, I will see which of the IOS I need. Also, how do you find out how much flash memory you have? Is there any onboard flash memory?
  • Options
    show version should tell you how much flash you have.

Your 265xXM has 16meg flash on the main system board plus a slot that can take up to a 32meg flash simm (for 48 max). If you have 32 meg now, then you have 16 onboard plus a 16 meg flash simm.... etc.

The 265xXM has 2 slots for DRAM.

Check out the Cisco Partner Central Portable Product Sheets: Portable Product Sheets - Partner Central

You'll want to look at the Router Memory PDF -- but the other PDFs like Router Performance, Switch Performance, Modules Cross Reference, IOS Packaging, etc. are also going to be useful for your studies and building a lab.

If you want to read up on the latest/greatest routers and switches Cisco has to offer:

Cisco Catalyst Switch Guide PDF
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/swit...cd805f0955.pdf

Cisco Router Guide PDF
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/coll...cd8019dc1f.pdf

I think you can also purchase those Cisco Guides in the online Cisco Documentation Store in case you want to store a hard copy in your bathroom.
  • Options
    Might as well toss in the link to the Cisco Feature Navigator - Cisco Systems while I'm thinking about it. :D

You can find the DRAM/Flash recommendations for IOS images or see which platforms support what features in which versions and feature sets.... etc.
  • Options
    Thanks. I didn't know about the system board memory. Thanks for the links.
  • Options
    Should I get the 12.4.15T or 12.4.25c? I read that the T version is better for CCNA? IF I should get the T version, Do I install with SNA or without SNA? My router have max memory (256/4icon_cool.gif.