Options

confused about logging in with vty line/telnet on different lines

mark076hmark076h Member Posts: 154
How do you choose to login to a specific vty lines via telnet or ssh if you set different ones with different passwords? is that possible? or would you just handout the passwords for people that need to login, but if that is the case why not use the same password for all lines?

Also it was very confusing reading the official CCNA guide when trying to figure out how to configure each line. It turns out vty line 0 15 will configure all the lines 0-15 for the settings you type in. At first i thought the first digit was the line number and and you always typed 15, however for an individual line you do vty line 2 2( for line 2). I swear the official certification guide did not explain that very well but I got it now.

Comments

• Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You don't get to choose, you just get the next available line.

Because of this, it doesn't make a lot of sense to use different passwords for each line. The only place where that feature comes in handy that I can think of is you can assign one password to lines 0 - 14 that is known to everybody, and a different password to line 15 so you're guaranteed to be able to get in, and you'll only have two possible passwords to remember.