Options

please help! switch C2900XL command question...

solnsusiesolnsusie Member Posts: 128
I trying to get certified for the ccna have a Cisco 2950 switch with model & version:
Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
IOS (tm) C2900XL Software (C2900XL-C3H2S-M), Version 12.0(5)XU, RELEASE SOFTWARE
(fc1)
Copyright (c) 1986-2000 by cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Mon 03-Apr-00 16:37 by swati
Image text-base: 0x00003000, data-base: 0x00301398

And somehow I’m having some problems with some commands, like as I’m learning, that the port security command is like this: “switchport port-security”, but when I’m entering to the switch it won’t recognize it, it will accept only like this “port security”, without to begin switchport, and with no dash between port security,
Also when I’m using the “port security” command it won’t have an option for port security “violation”, it will have instead port security, “action”.
And I have some more command issues different from which I’m learning,
So my question is, what is the problem, is it the version, or the switch model?
Please help me I should be able to pass the ccna exam,
Thanks a lot

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    solnsusie wrote: »
    I trying to get certified for the ccna have a Cisco 2950 switch with model & version:
    You don't have a Catalyst 2950. You have a Catalyst 2924XL which is an older switch which is why you're having issues with commands since they were changed in the newer 2950.
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    You don't have a Catalyst 2950. You have a Catalyst 2924XL which is an older switch which is why you're having issues with commands since they were changed in the newer 2950.
    how do you see that its a 2924? i bought it as an 2950, so the seller ripped me off? that’s not fair, and will i be able to study on this switch? ant recommendations?
    thanks
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    how do you see that its a 2924?
    You can check which 2900 series switches can run that IOS
    C2900XL-C3H2S-M), Version 12.0(5)XU
    A quick check of the Cisco web site shows that a 2912XL-EN or 2924XL-EN can use that software.

The C2900XL in the IOS name shows it's NOT a 2950
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    You can check which 2900 series switches can run that IOS

A quick check of the Cisco web site shows that a 2912XL-EN or 2924XL-EN can use that software.

The C2900XL in the IOS name shows it's NOT a 2950
    thanks for all of you,
    so my question is, should I change it up for new ones, or since I spend money for this switch, I should stay with them, but, will I be able to study with it, basically my question is, if its missing a lot of features on this switch so it will missing a lot of knowledge for the real world and for the exam, or is it missing only a few little things, and i will study it as it goes,

and just for the record, this seller are very bad guys, they are selling old outdated stuff which they say that its good for the ccna exam and usually this people who buys it for the ccna study are buying it with no knowledge about the right switches and routers,
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    thanks for all of you,
    so my question is, should I change it up for new ones, or since I spend money for this switch, I should stay with them, but, will I be able to study with it, basically my question is, if its missing a lot of features on this switch so it will missing a lot of knowledge for the real world and for the exam, or is it missing only a few little things, and i will study it as it goes,

and just for the record, this seller are very bad guys, they are selling old outdated stuff which they say that its good for the ccna exam and usually this people who buys it for the ccna study are buying it with no knowledge about the right switches and routers,

I remember seeing someone claiming to be selling 2950's on ebay about a month ago though the picture clearly showed a 2900XL. Real class act. I don't know what you can do at this point, but I'd contact eBay.

I don't know if you'd get enough (or anything for that matter) back from the 2900's to make it worth the trouble of trying to sell them. However, they still can be used to complement a 2950 or two.
  • Options
    should I change it up for new ones, or since I spend money for this switch
    The 2924XL-EN are fine as a 3rd switch (and 4th switch).

But my question would be "what did you pay for them?" If they were sold as 2950s for a high price -- and not too long ago -- then you should take it up with the seller and eBay/Paypal.

If they were $15-20 and reasonable shipping charges and delivered more than a couple of weeks ago -- then write it off as an education cost.

You should have at least 1 2950 (or 2960 if you win the Lottery) so that you can learn and practice the currents commands -- but 2 is better. Your 3rd switch can be a cheaper 2924XL-EN or 3rd 2950 if all the 2924XL-EN switches are overpriced or being sold as 2950s :D.
  • Options
    The 2924XL-EN are fine as a 3rd switch (and 4th switch).

But my question would be "what did you pay for them?" If they were sold as 2950s for a high price -- and not too long ago -- then you should take it up with the seller and eBay/Paypal.

If they were $15-20 and reasonable shipping charges and delivered more than a couple of weeks ago -- then write it off as an education cost.

You should have at least 1 2950 (or 2960 if you win the Lottery) so that you can learn and practice the currents commands -- but 2 is better. Your 3rd switch can be a cheaper 2924XL-EN or 3rd 2950 if all the 2924XL-EN switches are overpriced or being sold as 2950s :D.

i paid for it $200.00 + $35.00 shipping, so i wont buy a new one, since i cant sell it for this price, and i bought it like a month ago,

so again to my question, is this switch so bad that i will miss alot of studiyng stuff or it isn't missing so much and i could go just with this 2924 switch, and whats missing i will study by memorizing,

also, i bought together 2 routers, 1 2520, and 1 2503, is this also outdated, or this is good?
  • Options
    i paid for it $200.00 + $35.00 shipping, so i wont buy a new one, since i cant sell it for this price, and i bought it like a month ago,

so again to my question, is this switch so bad that i will miss alot of studiyng stuff or it isn't missing so much and i could go just with this 2924 switch, and whats missing i will study by memorizing,

also, i bought together 2 routers, 1 2520, and 1 2503, is this also outdated, or this is good?
    You won't have the port range command.

You'll MAY be missing some of the STP stuff.

You probably won't have VLAN configuration in global configuration mode -- only the depricated VLAN database command.

You've already found some of the port security issues.....

Not sure if it supports SSH for telnet login -- but if those 2500s have a Crypto IOS, then you'd have SSH version 1 and could to the SSH configs and test signing in over the network (via VTY ports) which may be a task listed in the exam blueprint(s).

The 2924XL-EN switches are better than nothing, but with the 2950s being available in the $25-$50 range if you patiently shop on eBay, or $75 Buy It Now, fewer people are using them -- and there will be fewer people to answer your questions about the differences.

The 2520 is worth around $50 and has value as a Frame Relay Switch because of the 4 Serial Ports. The 2503 (A 2501 with a BRI ISDN? port) and is probably worth around $10-15. The 2500s can only do basic IPv6 -- but are still useful for almost anything CCNA IPv4 routing with the 12.2 Enterprise Plus or the 12.3 IP Plus IOS images. You'd want the Crypto versions for the SSH stuff. You can't do Router on a Stick and they don't support SDM. Hopefully you have the max 16 Meg DRAM and 16 Meg FLASH -- and with one of those IOS images I mentioned. Hopefully they came with the transceivers for the AUI Ethernet ports.
  • Options
    You won't have the port range command.

You'll MAY be missing some of the STP stuff.

You probably won't have VLAN configuration in global configuration mode -- only the depricated VLAN database command.

You've already found some of the port security issues.....

Not sure if it supports SSH for telnet login -- but if those 2500s have a Crypto IOS, then you'd have SSH version 1 and could to the SSH configs and test signing in over the network (via VTY ports) which may be a task listed in the exam blueprint(s).

The 2924XL-EN switches are better than nothing, but with the 2950s being available in the $25-$50 range if you patiently shop on eBay, or $75 Buy It Now, fewer people are using them -- and there will be fewer people to answer your questions about the differences.

The 2520 is worth around $50 and has value as a Frame Relay Switch because of the 4 Serial Ports. The 2503 (A 2501 with a BRI ISDN? port) and is probably worth around $10-15. The 2500s can only do basic IPv6 -- but are still useful for almost anything CCNA IPv4 routing with the 12.2 Enterprise Plus or the 12.3 IP Plus IOS images. You'd want the Crypto versions for the SSH stuff. You can't do Router on a Stick and they don't support SDM. Hopefully you have the max 16 Meg DRAM and 16 Meg FLASH -- and with one of those IOS images I mentioned. Hopefully they came with the transceivers for the AUI Ethernet ports.
    oh!!! thats quick!!!!, I find missing the port range, missing port security, missing SSH, only telnet options, and about the router, is it good I didn’t begin to study this so I don’t know, there is so many bad people out there, why did they sell it to me as current for the ccna exam, but I have no choice I don’t have the extra money to buy new one, I’ll try my luck on eBay for the 2950,
    thanks again for your great help