Sun Solaris Certification

I see a Sun forum here, but its for Java. I'm interested in Sun Solaris Administration training. I use Solaris at work, and have OpenSolaris at on, actually using it to post this. Anyone here certified in Solaris?

Comments

  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Are we having fun yet? Mod Posts: 4,229 Mod
    brownwrap wrote: »
    I see a Sun forum here, but its for Java. I'm interested in Sun Solaris Administration training. I use Solaris at work, and have OpenSolaris at on, actually using it to post this. Anyone here certified in Solaris?

    Welcome to the forums, yes the SUN forum is for Java only :)

    I'm certified on Solaris (SCSA + SCNA), and I'm also a Certified Sun instructor for Solaris and for Sun hardware.

    I recommend the official training material from Sun (Oracle now), because it covers the exam objectives very well.


    Let me know if you have any questions
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Are we having fun yet? Mod Posts: 4,229 Mod
    brownwrap wrote: »
    ... OpenSolaris at on, actually using it to post this. ...


    unfortunately, OpenSolaris is a dead project now....but on the bright side, Solaris 11 is on the way :)Oracle Outlines Next Major Release of Oracle Solaris

    but as far as Solaris certification concerned, stick with Solaris 10.
  • brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    Welcome to the forums, yes the SUN forum is for Java only :)

    I'm certified on Solaris (SCSA + SCNA), and I'm also a Certified Sun instructor for Solaris and for Sun hardware.

    I recommend the official training material from Sun (Oracle now), because it covers the exam objectives very well.


    Let me know if you have any questions

    When you say "official training material", how do you get it? Outside of attending a class, which I can't afford to do, how does one obtain the material? Thanks.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Are we having fun yet? Mod Posts: 4,229 Mod
    brownwrap wrote: »
    When you say "official training material", how do you get it? Outside of attending a class, which I can't afford to do, how does one obtain the material? Thanks.


    The website has changed after Oracle acquisition...

    It's the Learning CD-ROM, bascially it's a collection of the same books given to the students when they attend official SUN training courses.

    Catalog Search Results



    if you find this material expensive, you can always download the free PDFs, but the free PDFs are detailed, so you need to learn every topic alone:
    Browse Product Documentation - Sun Microsystems


    There's one commercially available book that might be helpful:
    Amazon.com: Solaris 10: System Administration (Exam CX-310-200 & CX-310-202) (9780789734617): Bill Calkins: Books: Reviews, Prices & more
  • brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    The website has changed after Oracle acquisition...

    It's the Learning CD-ROM, bascially it's a collection of the same books given to the students when they attend official SUN training courses.

    Catalog Search Results



    if you find this material expensive, you can always download the free PDFs, but the free PDFs are detailed, so you need to learn every topic alone:
    Browse Product Documentation - Sun Microsystems


    There's one commercially available book that might be helpful:
    Amazon.com: Solaris 10: System Administration (Exam CX-310-200 & CX-310-202) (9780789734617): Bill Calkins: Books: Reviews, Prices & more


    Yes, those prices are very expensive. I guess I will have to stick to what I can find on Amazon. Thank you.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Are we having fun yet? Mod Posts: 4,229 Mod
    brownwrap wrote: »
    Yes, those prices are very expensive. I guess I will have to stick to what I can find on Amazon. Thank you.

    what exam are you interested in ? what's your background ?

    you can ask Sun partners in your area if they offer training/material
  • brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    what exam are you interested in ? what's your background ?

    you can ask Sun partners in your area if they offer training/material


    I have worked different flavors of Unix a nd Linux for many years. I started with Sun when it was Sun OS and black and white! I have used Solaris, HP-UX, Silicon Graphics IRIX, and even a little of IBM's AIX. Used RedHat, Fedora, and CentOS, as well as Ubuntu. Put together a linux system based on LinuxFromScratch.

    I am currently back to Solaris 10 at work. I guess I just don't know anything in depth to get a certification in it. I came to this site because it is mandatory I get Security+ to hold down my job, otherwise I would have never studied for it. Still in the process of getting ready for it.

    The job would really like me to get a Solaris Admin Cert, so that is what I may pursue next.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Are we having fun yet? Mod Posts: 4,229 Mod
    brownwrap wrote: »
    I have worked different flavors of Unix a nd Linux for many years. I started with Sun when it was Sun OS and black and white! I have used Solaris, HP-UX, Silicon Graphics IRIX, and even a little of IBM's AIX. Used RedHat, Fedora, and CentOS, as well as Ubuntu. Put together a linux system based on LinuxFromScratch.

    I am currently back to Solaris 10 at work. I guess I just don't know anything in depth to get a certification in it. I came to this site because it is mandatory I get Security+ to hold down my job, otherwise I would have never studied for it. Still in the process of getting ready for it.

    The job would really like me to get a Solaris Admin Cert, so that is what I may pursue next.

    I think you can go with the book on amazon + SUN free documents. Make sure you review the exam objectives as they change sometimes. I think with your background, you will need to only focus on the new features added to Solaris 10 like Zones, zfs, SMF, ..etc.

    Good luck icon_thumright.gif
  • sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    What's the outlook like for Solaris though? I see a lot of shops migrating away from it.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Are we having fun yet? Mod Posts: 4,229 Mod
    sambuca69 wrote: »
    What's the outlook like for Solaris though? I see a lot of shops migrating away from it.

    It really depends on the country/region...but yes I heard of migrations from Solaris to Linux...and migrations from SUN hardware..but they still have significant installations base. Oracle promised to invest more in Sun Software & Hardware...so we don't know what will happen.

    OpenSolaris is dead now. However,Oracle is releasing Solaris 11 in 2011 : Oracle Outlines Next Major Release of Oracle Solaris
  • sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    It really depends on the country/region...but yes I heard of migrations from Solaris to Linux...and migrations from SUN hardware..but they still have significant installations base. Oracle promised to invest more in Sun Software & Hardware...so we don't know what will happen.

    OpenSolaris is dead now. However,Oracle is releasing Solaris 11 in 2011 : Oracle Outlines Next Major Release of Oracle Solaris

    Interesting read.. I think the uncertainty about their plans with Solaris drove a lot of those migrations away from the platform.
  • brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    sambuca69 wrote: »
    What's the outlook like for Solaris though? I see a lot of shops migrating away from it.

    I agree with UnixGuy's post. There is still a huge installed base. For example we use Solaris and I don't see that changing. The application is very complex and to switch to even another OS would be a huge investment, to say nothing of the hardware costs. We have lots of application software running on Solaris and that would have to be converted s well.

    Besides, the converversions taking place elsewhere will need people well versed to Solaris to make the switch.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Are we having fun yet? Mod Posts: 4,229 Mod
    brownwrap wrote: »
    ... For example we use Solaris and I don't see that changing. The application is very complex and to switch to even another OS would be a huge investment, to say nothing of the hardware costs. .....

    That's a big reason. Also, keep in mind that sales and marketing is another factor. Lots of companies used to make a lot of money from SUN hardware/Software, and even now after Oracle's aqcuisition, the sales force should be even stronger...so I think it will be around for sometime..
  • mycolkmagimycolkmagi Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    Welcome to the forums, yes the SUN forum is for Java only :)

    I'm certified on Solaris (SCSA + SCNA), and I'm also a Certified Sun instructor for Solaris and for Sun hardware.

    I recommend the official training material from Sun (Oracle now), because it covers the exam objectives very well.


    Let me know if you have any questions

    Hi I am fresh out of the university with a computer science degree with hardly any UNIX knowledge but there is an opening at my place of internship that will require an individual certified in solaris 11 within one months time, I am yet to choose a career path but i want to take on the challenge, what do you advise?
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Are we having fun yet? Mod Posts: 4,229 Mod
    mycolkmagi wrote: »
    Hi I am fresh out of the university with a computer science degree with hardly any UNIX knowledge but there is an opening at my place of internship that will require an individual certified in solaris 11 within one months time, I am yet to choose a career path but i want to take on the challenge, what do you advise?


    Definitely go for it. This is how I started out. It's a great opportunity for you, great career choice, and with experience you will get good $$.

    Just be aware that to be Solaris 11 certified, you need to attend official training. I'm sure your employed would be aware of that.



    Install Solaris and start learning. You will learn a lot as you move forward.
Sign In or Register to comment.